A possibility?

jmk97GT

Oct 29, 2004
I was looking over some of the engines ford has at their disposal.

What would you think about ford using the 6.8 liter v-10 truck engine as a possibility in the new cobra? Would it be changing too much of the mustang's image as a v-8 only muscle car?

I dont know much about this engine, I was just thinking about it since theres still no clear validation of which engine ford is going to use in the new cobra.

• Sponsors (?)

did you completely miss all of the v10 prototype articles for the next ford cobra?

it was a 351 5.8 v10

they were thinking of a cobra proto or a new boss351 edition.

it trapped like 118 on the motor and sounded great

before anyone rags on a v10 sound, the reason vipers sound like arse is because 2 cylinders fire at the same time and therefore you get the sound of a 5 cylinder exhaust pattern.
the ford v10 is a classic firing order

I'd say chances of a V10 Mustang are somewhere between slim and none.

I give a 2% chance that a VERY limited production model, like a Cobra R would get the 5.8L V10 (low deck all aluminum). No chance at all of the big, heavy iron block 6.8L V10 finding its way into a factory Mustang.

I'd say there is a much higher probabilty that some future special edition of the Mustang will get a version of the up coming 6.2L Huricane V8.

chances of changing the classic mustang's top model from a v8 to anything esle would be a big disappointment! im actually upset the cobra is sc'ed!!! i love supercharged mustangs but i think ford should leave that to the aftermarket!! i would love to see at least a n/a 5.4L v8 under the hood of the cobra but who knows!!

slegos888stang said:
chances of changing the classic mustang's top model from a v8 to anything esle would be a big disappointment! im actually upset the cobra is sc'ed!!! i love supercharged mustangs but i think ford should leave that to the aftermarket!! i would love to see at least a n/a 5.4L v8 under the hood of the cobra but who knows!!

Why are you upset that Ford S/C'es the Cobra? I think it's great. If you want considerably more performance than a GT and want to maintain your warranty. a Ford S/C Cobra is ideal. Granted, many enthusiasts would much prefer to put the S/C of their choice on and buy the Cobra platform for the IRS and 6-speed. However, I think that you a high performance vehicle out-of-the-box with warranty, for under $43k is great. I think Ford should be pushing more in the performance direction.

Thanks for the links :nice:

Yeah, the only reason I think ford should put a bigger engine than the 4.6 (which it is almost certain they'll put at least a 5.4L in it) is because you can get more power out of the car before supercharging/turbocharging it.