A super close call!

99FiveOh

10 Year Member
May 20, 2006
J-Ville, FL
Let my situation serve as a warning!

So, my window would occasionally get stuck in the up position (still haven't figured out why yet, any ideas let me know!). But when I'd loosen the bolts holding the motor in I could get it to go down and work for a little while.

I figured that maybe the gears and rollers needed some lube, so I sprayed some lube into the regulator tracks and decided to use bearing grease to lube up the huge gear.

So I reached inside the door so I could feel where the gear was and put some grease on it but I couldn't get at the entire gear. Without thinking I hit the down button and of course the one-touch module kept the window going all the way down and it pinched my arm! In a panic I was accidentally hitting the passenger side window button trying to get the window back up.. finally hitting the correct button and relieving my arm of the pain.

Thankfully the motor didn't have enough power to slice my arm up (or off :eek: )

I can't help but to think if this was an old classic type car, it probably would've taken my arm right off because back then they designed those window motors with some torque!

After lubing the components it seems to be working better..but we'll see if the problem comes back. It looks like all the rivets holding the regulator assembly are loose, I can see them move a good bit when I cycle the window up and down. Maybe I need to drill those out and put nuts and bolts in place.

• Sponsors (?)

Let my situation serve as a warning!

So, my window would occasionally get stuck in the up position (still haven't figured out why yet, any ideas let me know!). But when I'd loosen the bolts holding the motor in I could get it to go down and work for a little while.

I figured that maybe the gears and rollers needed some lube, so I sprayed some lube into the regulator tracks and decided to use bearing grease to lube up the huge gear.

So I reached inside the door so I could feel where the gear was and put some grease on it but I couldn't get at the entire gear. Without thinking I hit the down button and of course the one-touch module kept the window going all the way down and it pinched my arm! In a panic I was accidentally hitting the passenger side window button trying to get the window back up.. finally hitting the correct button and relieving my arm of the pain.

Thankfully the motor didn't have enough power to slice my arm up (or off :eek: )

I can't help but to think if this was an old classic type car, it probably would've taken my arm right off because back then they designed those window motors with some torque!

After lubing the components it seems to be working better..but we'll see if the problem comes back. It looks like all the rivets holding the regulator assembly are loose, I can see them move a good bit when I cycle the window up and down. Maybe I need to drill those out and put nuts and bolts in place.

Got pinched almost the same way before. :D

does it make a clicking/knocking noise when it gets to the top or bottom? have you replaced the motor bushings yet?

BHAHAHAHAHHAH jinx!! that would take car love to a new level.

No clicking. I've done the bushing mod before using the 1/4 x 20 nuts and they work great. When the window doesn't want to go down I can hear the one touch module click, but the window motor does nothing. Something is definitely binding up somewhere.

And Nick, if you have your door panel off, you'll see there's an access hole toward the rear of the door. You can reach through that hole and feel the big gear that the motor actuates. Well the big gear was bone dry, no grease or anything on it. So I put some grease on my fingers and reached in and applied it to that gear, but some of the gear was too far on the other side of the motor to get to, so I operated the window to try and get more of the gear on the side I could reach. But the one-touch module kept the window going all the way down and my arm got caught between the bottom of the window and the lower part of the access hole. Luckily the metal was kinda rolled inward so there were no sharp edges.

And Nick, if you have your door panel off, you'll see there's an access hole toward the rear of the door. You can reach through that hole and feel the big gear that the motor actuates. Well the big gear was bone dry, no grease or anything on it. So I put some grease on my fingers and reached in and applied it to that gear, but some of the gear was too far on the other side of the motor to get to, so I operated the window to try and get more of the gear on the side I could reach. But the one-touch module kept the window going all the way down and my arm got caught between the bottom of the window and the lower part of the access hole. Luckily the metal was kinda rolled inward so there were no sharp edges.

Gotcha :nice: Ive had my door panels off, but only to get to the speakers. I havent had to remove the plastic to work on the windows yet. Ive done it on other cars though, so I get what youre talking about. I just had to laugh, cause Ive never really stuck my arm that far up in there before...

Next time if you feel like it, you could just pull the motor and grease the gear on the motor.

I've greased the teeth on the regulator cam before and it just attracts lots of dirt.

Glad you're ok.