? about problems for 351 in 66

A66Auto

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
Sacramento, CA
I am trying to decide what type of motor to build for my 66. I was looking at the 331 stroker kit from CHP and I noticed that the 383 kit based on the 351 is the same cost, so I figure, go for the bigger motor.

I know some people have 351’s in their 65-66 mustangs and I want to know how hard it is to live with. Do you really have to lift the block out of the car to change the plug or can some shortie plugs be used? Will the bell housing for my 302 bolt up? Are there other things I should worry about?

Anyway, now I need to come up with a 351 block. Has anyone used a remanufactured block before? How did it work? What vehicles should I look for to find a block? Are there ones I should stay away from? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I think the 351W is a fine choice, you can get power output in the 400s without even trying compared to what it takes to get a 302 into the 400s.

The 351 that is such a PITA to change plugs in a 65-66 is the Cleveland not the Windsor. Not that it wont be "harder" than the 302, but you wont have to jack the motor up to do it either :D I think the Cleveland in the 65-66 is about the same difficulty as the FE in the 67-68s...a real pain in the keester, take it from a former 67-FE owner who is now using the 351W.

A stock 351W block is fine for sub 500fwhp duty, just make sure and have it THOROUGHLY checked and cleaned (magnafluxed). I also strongly suggest improved connectors (ARP bolts for rods and ARP studs for mains) for the bottom end on any rebuild...period.

IMHO.....a stock 351w block can take a LOT more than 500 horsepower at the flywheel. Thare are several stock blocked 302s that make 500hp at the flywheel and hold up perfectly for 10s of thousands of miles. A 351w block is a heck of a lot beefier!!! I think 92-96 F150s have roller 351w blocks.

shane

allcarfan said:
IMHO.....a stock 351w block can take a LOT more than 500 horsepower at the flywheel. Thare are several stock blocked 302s that make 500hp at the flywheel and hold up perfectly for 10s of thousands of miles. A 351w block is a heck of a lot beefier!!! I think 92-96 F150s have roller 351w blocks.
I pretty much agree with you Shane, but I usually give conservative advice because I'd hate for some guy to grenade his mill based on advice I gave :D

The remanufacturered blocks are fine A66Auto, that is what I meant by stock block. PAW is a reputable company as well. For peace of mind I'd have your machine shop thoroughly check it over though.