about to go turbo...what do i need?

cenok is family

15 Year Member
Jun 25, 2003
Norman, Ok
i was going to order a complete on3 kit, but after everyone saying that the turbo sucks, i think i am just going to order the treadstone hot and cold side piping kits, a treadstone intercooler, and i don't know what else, lol. that's where i need your guys' help! what else am i going to need that isn't included in these kits?

here is the cold side kit:
http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...dname=87-93+Mustang+single+turbo+kit+pipe+kit

here is the hot side:
http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...ngle+Turbo+Kit+87-93+Mustang+(Hot+parts+only)

here is the intercooler i'm going to get. it's the trv25-s; same side facing endtanks. it's the one in their complete kit:
http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...=63&prodname=TRV25+Series+Intercooler++1000HP

what is a decent enough turbo for around $500-700 price range? what about wastegates and BOVs?

i'm new to the boost game, so any help would be appreciated!

my goal is to try and keep money below $2500, and if possible, below $2000. i know this approach isn't going to be the best of the best, but i don't need the best. just something decent that isn't going to blow up after 100 miles.

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

on3 will work, we ran it on a friends car you just need to use a good w/g bov and turbo, As far as turbo in that price range = Master power hands down, he ran a 76. Waste gate and BOV - tial

i've been debating that option as well. just getting the on3 kit and using a different turbo/wg/bov. the only thing that has been keeping me from doing that, is by the time i get different stuff, i'll probably be approaching the cost of a treadstone single turbo kit.

do you have a link to where i can look at master power turbos? they only place i've ever looked at them is on ebay. thanks man

Looks ok, id be wary of a turbo i couldnt check the shaft play in person of, but it doesn't seem like a bad deal.

well, said "screw it" and just ordered a complete treadstone kit with a 62-1 turbo, and a tial Q bov. i'll order a maf and some injectors later. i've already got a 255 lph in tank walbro...do you think that will be enough or do i need an external too?

well, said "screw it" and just ordered a complete treadstone kit with a 62-1 turbo, and a tial Q bov. i'll order a maf and some injectors later. i've already got a 255 lph in tank walbro...do you think that will be enough or do i need an external too?

Did you get a wastegate as well? Tial makes a 38mm with the two bolt flanges that will probably work with this kit. You're also going to need a y-pipe to mate the downpipe to your catback as well as a bung for a wideband O2 sensor.

The only thing I'm not thrilled about with the treadstone coldside design is that there is a bend coming directly off the MAF housing. You usually want as much straight pipe on each side of the MAF as possible for accurate readings. I suggest a slot-style MAF. More accurate than the typical sampling tube MAF and they do not need to be calibrated to injector size.

Did you get a wastegate as well? Tial makes a 38mm with the two bolt flanges that will probably work with this kit. You're also going to need a y-pipe to mate the downpipe to your catback as well as a bung for a wideband O2 sensor.

The only thing I'm not thrilled about with the treadstone coldside design is that there is a bend coming directly off the MAF housing. You usually want as much straight pipe on each side of the MAF as possible for accurate readings. I suggest a slot-style MAF. More accurate than the typical sampling tube MAF and they do not need to be calibrated to injector size.

the kit comes with a 35mm turbonetics evolution wastegate, it just didnt come with a bov for some reason. what is a good slot style maf?

i appreciate everyones help

Pro M makes pretty much every slot MAF on the market. Most are just branded under different names. I got my MAF through Rick 91GT. He had good pricing on the sensor and harness. I bought a really nice aluminum 3" tube w/ sensor flange from a company online, but I can't remember what the name was. I'll have to dig up the MAF in my box of tricks in the basement and find it.

edit: This is the housing I bought. I needed a short one and this was the most reasonably priced one I could find at the time.

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=slot+maf&product_id=14154

thanks race, i'll grab one of those and a pro-m slot sensor. you guys said there is no calibration needed on the slot ones, correct? also, do you think 42# injectors would be fine? what else will i essentially NEED to get this turbo kit working safely on my car? boost controller, wideband, should i get a quarterhorse or just take it somewhere and have it tuned? or both? do you think a boost-a-pump is a must or can i get by with just my 255lph in tank for now?

i'm not trying to split my block, so i'm aiming for right around 400ish rwhp, maybe a little more. i don't have a crazy setup currently, just some thumper ported e7's with 1.94/1.6 valves, an unported cobra intake, and an anderson n-412 cam which is pretty much the same as the n-41 except a 112 lsa instead of a 110. do you think my cam will be alright with a turbo? i have Ross racing forged pistons with factory crank and rods as well. i believe my comp is 9 or 9.5:1, i can't remember. they're flat tops with valve reliefs for inline and twisted wedge heads.

sorry about all the questions, like i said, i'm a newbie with forced induction!

you guys are life savers, i appreciate it!

as far as fuel goes id rather have more then less and it lean out , you can run a vortech on a 255 alone ..... my friends car had aero motive rails dumped tank and a magnafuel pump , I know you are on a budget so I think that the walboro/ aeromotive 340 would possibly work for you . or even see I think glens performance sells a dual pump hat for a fox tank but i may be wrong and run 2 340s or 2 255s in it .

I would not even consider going turbo for the 400rwhp goal you have.

Used S trim 1 afternoon install, done.

If you already pulled the trigger on the turbo, I would run the stock cam. Loads of torque and very nice manners.

I have ran the 340 on 2 blower cars one was a 4.6 2 valve (puke) 17psi 470rwhp
the other was the 86 5.0 12 psi 470 rwhp

The 340 should be more than enough, this was on :poo:ty 91 octane too

Reactions: 1 user
the blower route would definitely have been the easier path to take, but i did already pull the trigger on the treadstone kit. i've always wanted to do a turbo build. do you think i'll be putting down more than 400 to the wheels with a 62-1 turbonetics turbo and my current setup?