ABS code 61 (pump motor relay)

blackstang96

Jan 23, 2010
Hi folks. The ABS light has lit on my 1996 GT so I pulled the code. It is ABS code 61 which is pump motor/pump motor relay. I would like to replace the pump motor relay first, but I can't find it. I've searched the forums for any guidance but am not getting anywhere. Please help if you know where it is. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

PINPOINT TEST E:HYDRAULIC PUMP MOTOR AND RELAY

It is calling out an electrical problem or a complete failure of the ABS module. Will post a few of the pinpoint tests. Perform the tests and report the results.

61 Pump motor/pump motor relay fault GO to Pinpoint Test E.

PINPOINT TEST E: HYDRAULIC PUMP MOTOR AND RELAY

E1 CHECK 60A ABS FUSE
l Check the 60A ABS fuse located in the LH engine compartment power distribution panel.
l Is the fuse OK?
Yes
GO to «E4».
No
GO to «E2».
E2 CHECK HYDRAULIC MOTOR SYSTEM
l Ignition switch OFF.
l Replace the 60A ABS fuse.
l Inspect the fuse.
l Does the fuse fail again?
Yes
GO to «E3».
No
GO to «E4».
E3 CHECK FOR SHORT TO GROUND IN HYDRAULIC MOTOR POWER CIRCUIT
l Ignition switch OFF.
l Remove the 60A ABS fuse.
l Remove cover from hydraulic control unit.
l Disconnect the 16-pin connector located at the hydraulic control unit.
Note: Circuit 601 changes color from LB/PK to R as it passes through the harness connector.
l Measure the resistance of Circuit 601 (R) between the 60A ABS fuse terminal and ground.
l Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes
GO to «E4».
No
SERVICE Circuit 601 (R) between the engine compartment fuse panel and the hydraulic control unit.
E4 CHECK POWER SUPPLY TO HYDRAULIC CONTROL UNIT
l Ignition switch OFF.
l Disconnect the hydraulic control unit connector.
Note: Circuit 601 changes color from LB/PK to R as it passes through the harness connector.
l Ignition switch ON.
l Measure the voltage on Circuit 601 (R) at the hydraulic actuator assembly connector.
l Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to «E5».
No
SERVICE Circuit 601 (R) between the engine compartment fuse panel and the hydraulic control unit.

E5 CHECK HYDRAULIC ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY GROUND
l Ignition switch OFF.
l Measure the resistance of the BK wire between the screw terminal on the right side of the hydraulic control assembly and ground.
l Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
REPLACE ABS unit.
No
SERVICE the BK wire.