AC Compressor Causing Stutter in Power!

300hpWRX

Banned
Dec 18, 2003
I'm getting a noticable stutter whenever the AC Compressor cycles.
It happens between 2K and 3K, when either the AC or the defrost (uses AC Comp.) are on.

I can hear the click of the compressor cycling right when the stutter happens. It's just a quick dip in power, almost feels like the clutch slipping for half a second, just a little blip. And it happens about every 10 seconds or so.

Why is this happening, and how do I fix it???

(Car is a stock 99 Cobra)

• Sponsors (?)

Most attentive drivers (like yourself) will notice a power dip/surge when the compressor cycles. It is possible that yours is a little low on Freon so you could have it checked but I always feel them kick off and on.

You answered you own question - it's the A/C compressor causing parasitic power loss. It's quiet a draw on the engine and will cause this stumbling you are feeling. Well, not exactly a stumble, but kinda like you just threw an anchor out.

twogts4us said:
You answered you own question - it's the A/C compressor causing parasitic power loss. It's quiet a draw on the engine and will cause this stumbling you are feeling. Well, not exactly a stumble, but kinda like you just threw an anchor out.
But the power doesn't stay down, it's just one little blip of power loss every 10 seconds.

[QUOTE='01 Steed]First, this is totally normal.

Second, who cares? This will not happen at WOT, so what's the problem?[/QUOTE]
This is not totally normal. The car should definately not do that. Maybe it's normal for Stangs, but that really sucks.
It doesn't happen at WOT, but it shouldn't happen at all. I should be able to cruise with the AC on without the engine farting every ten seconds.

I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it.

My bad, I didn't read the part about it happening every 10 seconds. Sounds like your refrigerant is low or you have a bad pressure sensor (hi or low?) Have it checked out. You may only need a recharge.