Accident new bumper help.

JohnyD05

Founding Member
Mar 17, 2002
Massachusetts
so about a week ago i had a lady reversed into me
she hit me in the front. and it poped my bumper cover of on front right side and dented it abit. IT also through off the alignment off the bumpper pretty bad. I had it looked at and the auto body place wants 557. something for a new bumper and underneath parts and to paint and re align it. They lady wants to do it not through insurance, and just pay for it out of her pocket. The autobody place says that they need the car for 2-3 days. so that i should get a rental car, is it fair to ask her to pay for that? Cause i guess if it went through insurance, her insurance company has to by law (rent me a car that is). Also does anyone know where i can get a cobra bumper for the car, in a kit with the fog lights? The auto body place wants to put the original GT bumper on and i told them i would think about paying the difference for a cobra bumper upgrade. I found a 03-04 cobra bumper with the fog lights and all that i need, but it says it will have hood problems on a GT, is this true? IS there anywhere i can get a 99-01 front bumper so i don't have fitting issues?

• Sponsors (?)

A lady hit me in the rearend, all that happened was she knocked a small hole in my rear bumper. The garage had to replace the bumper cover and the styerofoam absorber underneath. Then paint and reinstall the bumper cover and rental car $1200 dollars.. you quote is acutally mybe a tad low. Repair time was 3 days.

there is somewhat of a dent where she actually impacted me. and the whole bumper is pushed up into the lights and one side the bumper cover is off of where it attaches to. From the estimate it seems like all of the cost is from labor. which is really wierd. i don't see any cost for new parts. Although tehre is a category O/H Bumper assembly and it says 2.2 hours in labor, maybe they charge the cost of the parts under labor it seems really wierd. They rental car is going to be around 150 dollars. they lady wants to see reciepts for the work being done, so i guess i can't get my own bumper and have it all done.

how did your rear bumper look after it was done?

The bumper off a cobra fits perfect. I have one and LOVE it.

Depending on how hard she hit it you just might need the foam absorber. If you take it to a bodyshop you will be with out a car for 2-3 days. Labor and paint dry time. Get that lady to pay for a rental also!

If you click on my garage you can see pics of my GT with the cobra bumper.

Did you bolt the 03 cobra front end up to your car with a stock GT hood? I heard that the o3 cobra front only fits with a 03 hood?! i don't know that much about it i was just curious.

loosescrew79 said:
The bumper off a cobra fits perfect. I have one and LOVE it.

Depending on how hard she hit it you just might need the foam absorber. If you take it to a bodyshop you will be with out a car for 2-3 days. Labor and paint dry time. Get that lady to pay for a rental also!

If you click on my garage you can see pics of my GT with the cobra bumper.

JohnyD05 said:
Did you bolt the 03 cobra front end up to your car with a stock GT hood? I heard that the o3 cobra front only fits with a 03 hood?! i don't know that much about it i was just curious.

You just have to move the tab up a half inch or something. Im sure someone will chime in with the picture.

To answer your question a GT hood will work fine with the Cobra bumper.

As far as her paying you personally, she should pay you full amount(all repairs + rental). If that's not OK with her..tell her to file a claim with the insurance co. You are doing her a favor. Give her the estimate and get a check immediatly. Be careful, you can get screwed.

Like what was already said, you are doing this lady a favor by having her pay out of pocket. Sounds like she doesnt want her rates to go up, or maybe she doesnt have insurance. I wouldnt be afraid ask her to pay for a rental. Just have the shop write in the cost of the stock bumper and see if you can do that on the side.
No sense in you not being able to get a new bumper because SHE wants to handle it outside of insurance.

Do you make a report of the accident?? Remember how important it is to handle this as soon as possible.

JohnyD05 said:

Still have the stock GT hood on it. Opens and closes with any problems. You will have to modify the plugs for the fog lights or buy new ones. I made my gt plugs fit because the dealer wants like $60 for the plugs to fit the cobra fog lights