Adjustable Fpr & Gauge

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
Hey guys,

I installed a brand new Kirban adjustable FPR about a year and a half ago. At the same time I installed a gauge on the pressure relief valve, I think also made by Kirban (came for LMR). I noticed right away that when I made changes to the FPR, the gauge was very slow to react. I would have to make a turn, and wait about 3-4 minutes for the gauge to adjust its reading, then make another adjustment if that wasn't enough.

I set the gauge to 39 psi and forgot about it, until last weekend when I installed 30lb injectors. The car smelled richer than normal, so I tried to turn the pressure down to 35lbs. The gauge did its normal slow response, but finally registered the change in pressure.

So, is this normal? My fathernlaw seems to think the guage should respond almost instantly. If this isn't normal, do you think it is the gauge, the FPR or the fuel pump being weak (no other signs of that going on).

Thanks,
Joe

• Sponsors (?)

It could be the schrader valve in the fuel line port. After working A/C for 8 years, I've experienced those little valves go bad in the sense that they won't open up multiple times, and that kinda sounds like it could be your problem.

That is a good question that I don't know the answer to, but if you have your fpg on it semi-permanently, then you could just release the pressure, pull the valve out and reinstall your gauge (leave the valve out).

Thanks for the response guys. I'm going to try removing the schrader valve and see what happens. If no change, I may try to pick up a cheap gauge somewhere just to try out. This gauge was the more expsensive one that was recommended (well of course it was, it cost more) by the sales rep.

Joe