Adjusting gains...

crownv6

Feb 11, 2003
Miami, Florida
Hey on my amp i have multiple gain settings... but only 5 that matter to the sub woofer... What does each control? I mean.. some are obvious... but state them anyways for clarity...

Lpf..
Level..
Sub Sonic..
Gain..
Bass Boost..

Thanx.. i'm trying to set up my amp to my preferences... but i can't seem to get it right.. hopefully someone can help me...

• Sponsors (?)

Lpf - Low Pass Filter - what frequency you want to cut off on the high end;
the number shown is highest frequency the sub will play

Level - Input Voltage Level - Usually a switch that can be flipped between
HIGH and LOW it will increase the power
reaching the amp if given a high voltage input.
If your deck has 2V pre-out then set the level
to low, if the deck has above a 4V pre-out
then turn the level to high.

Sub-Sonic - Sub-Sonic frequency cutoff - this is the opposite of Lpf, it will
cut off all frequencies playing
below the user set limit

Gain - This is probably the one you now turn it clockwise to gain loudness.

Bass Boost - As the name suggests, this will boost the bass played at one
certain frequency (or small band of frequencies).

I hope that clears any indiscretions you have, if however it doesn't, feel free to ask any more questions and I will try to help you out.

Foreigner said:
Gain - This is probably the one you now turn it clockwise to gain loudness.

A gain isn't supposed to be used as a volume control...its purpose is to help match up the headunit and the amp.

The "real" way to set a gain, if you're talking to competitors and the like, is to use an oscilliscope, and get all technical and whatnot.

For a normal setup, a basic and effective way of setting the gain goes something like this:

Turn off any "Loud" or Bass Boost controls on the deck, and set the equalizer curve to flat (if applicable). Turn the deck up to about 65-75% of it's maximum volume, with the amp's gain turned way down, and then slowly start turning the gain up, while listening to the speakers (you should unhook any speakers not running off the amp while you're doing this), and listen for distortion. Once you hear the distortion starting, back the gain off a little bit, and the gain should be more or less set.

Good luck!