advice for 351w

I need some advice on a 351w shortblock i purchased. The local machine shops haven't given me any advice besides spend more money or leave the engine alone. I need an opinion of someone whos not trying to sell me something. the 351w has a factory hyd. roller cam, is bored .040, and has hypereutectic pistons. I'm planning on using edelbrock performer rpm heads and hyd. roller cam. I wan't this to be bullitt proof because even though I only drive the car 5,000 miles a year, i drive it on trips upto 500 away and i'll drive it hard on a road course or drag strip several times a year. should i relpace the pistons w/ forged ones? if i do should i upgrade my rods? if i get involved in replacing my pistons and rods i want to go with a crank w/ a 3.850 stroke vs. 3.500 for 393 stroker, will cast still be good enough for the crank or do i need to step it up also?:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Buy new forged pistons. If you go with a 393, you can use a 302 piston and a stock 351 5.955" rod. Is this a core that is .040 over? Or is it a finished product with a nice .040 overbore?

You can buy a cast steel 3.85" stroke crank (no need for a forged crank), upgrade to ARP bolts and buy a correct overbore 302 piston. The crank is $375 shipped and the pistons should be the same price or cheaper than a standard 351W piston.

it is a finnished product with a nice .040 bore, after my 289 (.040 bore hypereutectic pistons, stock rods, swapped a stock 302 crank, stock heads that were rebuilt and ported) blew on one of my 500 mile trips (piston failed and sent the rod & wrist pin through the cylinder wall!!!!) I took a second look at this $2,000 short block sitting on my engine stand. Thanks for the advice I'm leaning toward forged 302 pistons w/ correct bore and a "393" cast crank and holding it all together with good fasteners. I just wasn't sure about the stock rods, the machine shops all wanted me to get forged I or H beams and a nodular or forged crank...my goal has allways been 1hp per cid @ the wheels (400ish @ The crank) I'm don't want an unstreetable 500+hp monster.:)