aftermarket 69 GT500 Convertible body panel compatibility questions

Old Blue

Jul 15, 2004
basiclly i when i repaint my 69 grande coup, i want the decklid and rear 1/4 panel caps like the ones on the compcams 69 vert.

Comp69mustang.jpg

must26a.jpg

they look remarkiblly like the ones on the real deal...
Shelby69-1.jpg

are these able to bolt on to a standard 69 coupe? i thought the decklids and 1/4s on the coupes and convertibles were the same. are they the same between the 69 convertible GT500's and standard 69 convertibles? is that what comcams did to their car?

and the hood...anyone know where i can get one?

if so, who makes these after market in either sheetmetal or fiberglass? i prefer fiberglass, but its not crucial .

Attachments

• Comp69mustang.jpg
    Comp69mustang.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 81
  • must26a.jpg
    must26a.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Sponsors (?)

Old Blue said:
basiclly i when i repaint my 69 grande coup, i want the decklid and rear 1/4 panel caps like the ones on the compcams 69 vert.

Comp69mustang.jpg

must26a.jpg

they look remarkiblly like the ones on the real deal...
Shelby69-1.jpg

are these able to bolt on to a standard 69 coupe? i thought the decklids and 1/4s on the coupes and convertibles were the same. are they the same between the 69 convertible GT500's and standard 69 convertibles? is that what comcams did to their car?

and the hood...anyone know where i can get one?

if so, who makes these after market in either sheetmetal or fiberglass? i prefer fiberglass, but its not crucial .

yes the decklid and end caps are the same for coupes and verts, including the shelbys, only thing you;ll want to watch out for is that the sheblys end caps are flat against the taillight panel and the non shelby cars are generally curved to follow the contour of the stock taillight panel although i can't rememer if the 69's are like that or if it was just the earlier cars. i don't have my car here or i'd go out and check. even so it isn't a huge problem, you can either use tham as is or if you're as anal as i am you can add some glass to the inside part of the end cap where it sits againt the tailllight panel to fill the gap in. the side scoops will bolt right up if you are going to use them, you have to drill new holes because that's what they did on the shelbys, but again not a big deal. as far as the hood there used to someone making a hood that would work without the shelby fenders but i don't know if anyone who still makes them, i suppose the hood could be modified as well, after all it is only fiberglass. i could be totally off base o the hood though it may work as is, but i beleive they changed the angles on the front and made it more square. when i get the money to get my decklid and end caps i will black out the center part of the decklid where the shelby letters and the lace stuff is to match the blackout taillight panel on mine

Attachments

• Comp69mustang.jpg
    Comp69mustang.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 87
  • must26a.jpg
    must26a.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 114
You can buy a decklid like that from Mustangsplus (blah) or Mustangdepot.

Be prepared though....the fit on those things are usually pretty bad and requires dozens of hours of body work. We have 42 hours into mine and it still doesnt fit right. We glassed the endcaps right into the 1/4 panel so there is no seam. Its about the only way we could get those to look right.

allcarfan said:
You can buy a decklid like that from Mustangsplus (blah) or Mustangdepot.

Be prepared though....the fit on those things are usually pretty bad and requires dozens of hours of body work. We have 42 hours into mine and it still doesnt fit right. We glassed the endcaps right into the 1/4 panel so there is no seam. Its about the only way we could get those to look right.

the trick is buy good quality glass to begin with. the stuff from mustangs unlimited is supposed to be really good. i got my side scoops from npd and the are pretty good as well, can't speak to the quality of their decklids though. the better glass stuff is a lot higher initially but will save you a ton of money in bodywork.

bnickel said:
the trick is buy good quality glass to begin with. the stuff from mustangs unlimited is supposed to be really good. i got my side scoops from npd and the are pretty good as well, can't speak to the quality of their decklids though. the better glass stuff is a lot higher initially but will save you a ton of money in bodywork.

I bought from Mustang Depot.

The trunk lid and end caps are available in quite a few places, look for Shelby parts not Mustang and you'll find them, try a generic search for "69 shelby fiberglass".

I am currently considering this for my car as well. I was thinking of getting them from Tony Branda www.cobranda.com as I had always heard that they were the best. Of course at one time they were the only as well. I know they are pricey, but I hope that means quality as well. If I go this way then I am really hoping that Bnickel beats me to it so I can learn something about his choice with MU and either go to school on him or learn from a mistake. ;)

Pakrat said:
The trunk lid and end caps are available in quite a few places, look for Shelby parts not Mustang and you'll find them, try a generic search for "69 shelby fiberglass".

I am currently considering this for my car as well. I was thinking of getting them from Tony Branda www.cobranda.com as I had always heard that they were the best. Of course at one time they were the only as well. I know they are pricey, but I hope that means quality as well. If I go this way then I am really hoping that Bnickel beats me to it so I can learn something about his choice with MU and either go to school on him or learn from a mistake. ;)

ha, i'm already gonna up short for the paint job as is (medical bills) so i've gottta start going through my spare parts stuff and putting it on ebay or something. BTW if anyone needs any 69/70 coupe stuff PM me with your needs and i'll let you know if i have it. on the upside i may have to tell the paint shop to put the car on the back burner until tax time, then i should be able to get the decklid as well :D

wow cool! maybe you saw my mustang when you were here. i have had it nearly 20 years, and it hasn't changed much since then.

Did'nt know there were so many SDiegans here. is there a club in this town? all these years and i have never seen one, although i must admit i haven't really looked.

What part of SD are you from?

Old Blue said:
wow cool! maybe you saw my mustang when you were here. i have had it nearly 20 years, and it hasn't changed much since then.

Did'nt know there were so many SDiegans here. is there a club in this town? all these years and i have never seen one, although i must admit i haven't really looked.

What part of SD are you from?

well i haven't lived there since we moved back to texas in 1970 :D my dad was stationed at coronado i was only 1 when we moved back. i've had my car for a about 20 years as well, actually it'd coming up on 21. i've been back to SD twice for vacations but that's about it. there was a car here in town that was identical to yours except that it had american "daisy" wheels on it, at one point i think he swapped to tt2's but that was shortly before i never saw the car again so i can't be sure. i think he must have been going to college at texas tech

Old Blue said:
unfortunately those are for a fastback, which has a much wider tail, and smaller decklid.

But Pakrat, www.cobranda.com has EXACTLY what i need, kick a$$!

STL4A-STL5A.jpg

Cool, glad I could help. I know the ones made by some of the other vendors for the Mustang does not have the recess on the back panel for the black insert, and I honestly think the lip looks too big in back without it, it's just a steep wall when it's not broken up. Besides, I intend to reuse the M U S T A N G letters there as well if I go this way too.

So bnickel, maybe you'll get to go to school on me then, that's fine too. Got an entire reaer quarter shell available in those parts of yours? :rolleyes:

Pakrat said:
Cool, glad I could help. I know the ones made by some of the other vendors for the Mustang does not have the recess on the back panel for the black insert, and I honestly think the lip looks too big in back without it, it's just a steep wall when it's not broken up. Besides, I intend to reuse the M U S T A N G letters there as well if I go this way too.

So bnickel, maybe you'll get to go to school on me then, that's fine too. Got an entire reaer quarter shell available in those parts of yours? :rolleyes:

nope, but i do have a complete 69 six cylinder coupe with great quarters on both sides and a new black standard interior that i'd sell cheap :D

Pakrat said:
Besides, I intend to reuse the M U S T A N G letters there as well if I go this way too.

Holy crap! i was thinking the exact same thing! great mind think alike i guess :p

bnickel said:
nope, but i do have a complete 69 six cylinder coupe with great quarters on both sides and a new black standard interior that i'd sell cheap

Hey, you offered to Pakrat first, but if he passes. i would jump at the chance to buy some of the black interior of your parts car!

hey Pakrat, if you aren't interested let me know so i can pounce :D