Aftermarket Headlights....PLS COME IN

Dr Jay

Jan 1, 2004
Canada
I have been reading threads on Headlights here for over an hour and I see many Mustang owners are getting bad aftermarket lights:bang: I'm looking for clear corners with black housings (smoked headlights) to replace the chrome OEM's. I don't mind paying for good ones but I'm not buying new headlights every two or three years:notnice:

Pls chime in if you have aftermarkets that have not developed moisture problems or other fitment issues. Also if you have had problems with particular manufactures, pls chime in with the details so the rest of us will have some direction. :SNSign: :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

if anyone has any on the 96-98 GTs also, post that. haha sorry to kinda steal some of the thread, i was goin to ask about that sooner or later so i figured since you already did.
any suggestions for nice aftermarket either smoked or projector headlights for my year?

I know these aren't smoked...but they can be found smoked on ebay...where I bought mine...I paid around 250 for the projectors about 6 years ago...the sides were 35...on the sides, the rubber trim started to rot...I have another set in the garage to put on...for 35 that isn't bad...I have had little problems with the projectors:

tallywood_052.jpg

Attachments

• tallywood_052.jpg
    tallywood_052.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 80
On the topic of moisture...something I noticed when I had my stock taillights out was the vent tubes. The lights would get moisture in them and it would take days for it to escape. Inside the vent tubes are little removable screens that didn't seem to allow any flow in either direction. I took the tubes off, removed the screens and reinstalled the tubes. Now they don't seem as proned to collecting moisture and when they do it doesn't last nearly as long...could the aftermarket lamps have the same setup?

i orderd my clear corners with black housing from mustangtuning.com and have had no leaking problems at all...the only thing was that i really had to jam them in because they didnt fit perfectly and the little rubber seal around the edges doesnt sit absolutely flush with the exterior of the car...no one notices tho and i only get compliments.

and i know you guys/girls are gonna scream rice...but i think the hyper white turn signals go well with my cars color scheme...(blue car) they go well with my blueish white headlights also!

IMG_2531.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2531.jpg
    IMG_2531.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 65
I tried looking for aftermarket headlights for a good while....went with the projectors. Here's a pic.:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/BlacknBlue2002/9ea32362.jpg
I am not happy with them. My car has an extremely rough ride with the coilovers being so low, and I get a bouncing effect from the projector bulbs. I've been working on taking out the yellow reflectors on my stock lights, and plan on throwing those back on soon with my silverstar side markers. I like the look that TrueBlue has on his ride.

CRZYHRSGT said:
On the topic of moisture...something I noticed when I had my stock taillights out was the vent tubes. The lights would get moisture in them and it would take days for it to escape. Inside the vent tubes are little removable screens that didn't seem to allow any flow in either direction. I took the tubes off, removed the screens and reinstalled the tubes. Now they don't seem as proned to collecting moisture and when they do it doesn't last nearly as long...could the aftermarket lamps have the same setup?

I just purchased a set of new aftermarket smoked headlights off of eBay (I know) last week to replace my stock lights that were covered in tiny spidercracks. I took the vent tube off of my stock lights and used it on the aftermarket because of the screens. I thought maybe those screens would help keep them from fogging. So far, so good and it rained dogs here today plus we get alot of moisture in the mornings. The set I bought had "U" shaped tubes without screens where the stock had "7" shaped tubes with the screens. I just moved the stock tubes to the aftermarket locations.

Had the same problem that TrueBlue had, though. Kind of have to force them in and they don't exactly fit perfect with the body, but it's not something anyone's going to notice unless they look real hard. Definately made my car look better and I can see at night now.

thanks for the compliments.

Dr Jay ---
its kinda just luck as to whether or not you get leaky headlights. im pretty happy with my mustangtuning.com ones and most people say theirs from mustang tuning do not leak... i'd recommend buyin them from that place.

oh and i'll add one more pic of what the look like turned on....
and yes i know my foglights are ugly as hell...im gonna buy some clear ones soon.

Clearheadlightsuglyyellowfogs.jpg

Attachments

• Clearheadlightsuglyyellowfogs.jpg
    Clearheadlightsuglyyellowfogs.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 69
what about for my year? i want piece headlights but im not sure if i should get smoked or what. heres a pic so yall can give me some suggestions on what to get. and i also want to get a mach1 chin spoiler for my bodystyle, ive seen them b4 but i cant seem to find them again. any leads? well heres the pic
View attachment 478384
they stock headlights i have arent 1 pieces, obviously, and they are crocked. they suck when it comes to providing light at night. i can barely see anything. i want 1 pieces that put out alot of light and also have that meanish look. let me know
AIM: SouthrnStyleStng

stangtrooper97 said:
Another vote for the mustangtuning headlights. I've had them on a while and no leaks, condensation or fading/yellowing. Plus they look great.

Did you notice any fitment issues like others have described with the Mustangtuning lights. How long have you run yours? Also, do you drive your stang in the rain?

Dr Jay said:
Did you notice any fitment issues like others have described with the Mustangtuning lights. How long have you run yours? Also, do you drive your stang in the rain?

Mine slid in just fine. Every car and every headlight is slightly different though. I drive my car everyday, rain and snow as well. Had them for almost a year now and not a drop of water or any hazing. :nice:

96gt4point6 said:
what about for my year? i want piece headlights but im not sure if i should get smoked or what. heres a pic so yall can give me some suggestions on what to get. and i also want to get a mach1 chin spoiler for my bodystyle, ive seen them b4 but i cant seem to find them again. any leads? well heres the pic
View attachment 478108
they stock headlights i have arent 1 pieces, obviously, and they are crocked. they suck when it comes to providing light at night. i can barely see anything. i want 1 pieces that put out alot of light and also have that meanish look. let me know
AIM: SouthrnStyleStng
I do not suggest a 1 piece headlight for our cars. They are quite difficult to align and don't have a good adjustment range. Most of the aftermarket lights are complete junk...they have crappy light dispersment and don't age well.

droptopponynj said:
I do not suggest a 1 piece headlight for our cars. They are quite difficult to align and don't have a good adjustment range. Most of the aftermarket lights are complete junk...they have crappy light dispersment and don't age well.

I am with you Bob... I am on my third set of lights and these are fogging up too! I am just going to get factory cobra lights next time around. Aftermarket lights are JUNK!