aftermarket speedo- which one?

speed666

Jan 3, 2004
Allright, the Mustang Ill most likely be getting has a broken speedo, so I thaught Id just get an aftermarket one, but which one will work? I have no idea what I need, so some help would be great... some pointers to certain ones would be great, try to keep it under $200 though.

thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Well start off by giving a little more info such as:

YEAR OF CAR!
If you want stock look.
If you only want aftermarket.
What speed you want it register too.
etc. . .

As far as I know you cant buy an aftermarket speedo and have it match your existing guages, or mount in the stock location for that matter.

You can buy a used one and get an aftermarket face, or get it recalibrated for the speed you want.

moonenn3186 said:
Well start off by giving a little more info such as:

YEAR OF CAR!
If you want stock look.
If you only want aftermarket.
What speed you want it register too.
etc. . .

As far as I know you cant buy an aftermarket speedo and have it match your existing guages, or mount in the stock location for that matter.

You can buy a used one and get an aftermarket face, or get it recalibrated for the speed you want.

88 LX Hatch (an 87 engine, t-5 tranny I think? remember, I dont have it et...) And theres some Autometer speedos, their electronic, so you just have to push a button and it calibrates it, I like that.. plus, it would match the other gauges Im going to get. But Im not sure if it works, would it need the little adapter guy? Help!

Well - 1st wait to see if you get the car.
One thing to note - if the speedo is broken, or at least is not functioning, the odometer will likely be off, and you will have no idea how many miles are really on the car. Just beware.

2nd - If you get the car you might want to see if the the problem lies in the speedometer itself or if it is just a cable problem.

3rd - If it is the speedo, I would recommend buying a used one from Ebay (either an 89 140 unit or an 87-89 85 mph unit) as a replacement.

4th - You can pick up the 85 mph units very cheap. Send it to Two Brothers Perfomance and have it recalibrated and refaced to a 170 or 200 mph unit for $70.00.

The Autometer unit, although a nice piece, is not just a bolt in unit. You will have to hack up your existing cluster and risk damaging the electronic units associated with it.

Hope this helps.