Aftermarket stereo..increase or decrease value?

jpchefz

Dec 27, 2003
Fort Wayne, IN
No doubt our 5.0 fox bodies will increase in value, especially with the new ones out. What is your opinion about stereos? Many have aftermarket stereos, multipule amps, subs, etc. Do you think this will decrease future values? My '88 has 2 amps, new speakers in all factory locations and a 12" sub where the spare tire used to be. I am thinking of yanking it all and going back to stock. Opinions???

• Sponsors (?)

you should build your car to suit you... not the next person who buys it from you...

if you like having a killer stereo, a stocker will dissapoint...

if you like a stock look, the aftermarket wont cut it.

figure out what you want from your car, then plan it out and build the plan.

I agree with the guys above.

Unless the rest of your car is 100% stock and has very low mileage, you really shouldn't be concerned about the stereo. If you like the way it sounds, keep it. Your car is only going to be worth what the next guy wants to pay for it. If you can find a buyer that likes your car as much as you do, then that's great. Otherwise, you're going to take a bath when you sell it no matter what kind of stereo system it has in it.

Yep, ive seen many stereos that are hard wired in because the person who installed them can't spend the six dollars for the plug that you plug into the factory harness.. Its so much easier to do yet some people still wire them in straight to the factory wiring :nonono:

If you look on eBay, stock radios are going for good money. $40-50 for the tape deck and $100 for the cd player and $40 for the amp.

Someone wants them

Yeah, I do!

Seriously tho, I've been looking OEM tape decks on ebay and I've really been thinking about getting. I could listen to my iPod through a cassette adapters. I'm just wondering how crappy one of those would work.