Ain't It Cool?

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Got my email from my Aussie cam grinder. My cam is done. He sent pics of some of the processes most of us never get to see, so I thought I'd share them.
sumc.jpg

This is my goofy assed solid billet roller getting it's distributor gear hobbed.
04my.jpg

And here it is after getting heat treated.

So another notch towards being done gets carved into my progress totem pole. This dude ended up costing about 475.00 USD.

What I'm getting is a cam ground on a 114 L/S; w/ an intake lift of .558, and 236* duration at .050.
Exhaust is .530/224@ .050.
460 BBF Comp Extreme solid roller lifters operating YTD length pushrods opening Cleveland 1.73 roller rockers, actuating 1.8 intake valves, and weenie 1.5 exhaust valves.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

That's awesome Mike! I guess I have always chocked up cam grinding/ machining to black magic. Kind of sad with all the time I spent around tool and die shops, but never thought about the entire process. I hope it works well with your combo and look forward to seeing the results. I do support the vacation to Australia to retrieve said camshaft. If you need a guide (someone to get you lost) let me know.

Well, I thought it was done,..but today I get another email from my guy in Australia telling me that he was waiting on the bronze gears to come back from the machine shop he sent them to to get reamed up to my dist shaft size(.530) They're back now, and he's supposed to ship out today. (We'll have to see about that).

Since my cam is a rarity ( even in Australia) he took a few more pics of the process

u8od.jpg

He subtitled the above the lobe grinding process.

mx7l.jpg

And called this fiery one flat grinding.

That's my cam boys.......I can almost say it's one of the only ones in the whole, wide, world like it.

Reactions: 1 user