air induction dangerous?

f8lcobra99

Oct 27, 2004
Enid,OK
COLD AIR DANGEROUS TO ENGINE?

I was talkin to a guy that has a gt and he told me that he add cold air intake and he hit a big water puddle and water went through the intake and into his engine and blew a rod could that actually happen. If not what kind of induction do you recommend for a cobra?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm skeptical. Sounds like ricer folklore. First, the filter would have to be WAY down in the fenderwell, well past every aftermarket system I've seen. Next, the filter itself would keep the majority of water out. Also, that puddle would need to be awful deep (what besides the front bumper would splash it up? the wheel is behind it and is covered by the inner fender cover).
Get a sealed unit like the K&N FIPK for the 03-04 Cobras. I understand that's your best bet for a variety of reasons. Do a search here in the SVT forums and you'll find a lot of stuff.

Actually I've heard of this happening. Sometimes a person will put the filter on a CAI way down low to the ground to get the least amount of heat possible. But there is also that chance of hitting a big ass pothole and dunking your filter in water with it way down there. But I read an article about some guy that developed a bypass valve and actually tested it with his own car. He dunked an open tube in water and the valves opened and never sucked water in.

I would recomend getting one of those types of setups IF you are going to put your filter down below the engine like that. But if its going to sit beside the engine like most do, then you probably dont need to worry about it.

Yes, it is possible, if you go through a flooded area, or hit a puddle just right...

instead of typing it out, here is a company that actually warns you of this and offers both a CAI and a alternate solution...

go to http://www.jlttruecoldair.com

click on "Frequently Asked Questions" on the left...

and read the 5th Question

I just ordered the RAI, it alot in the Houston area and I daily drive the Cobra so I don't want to risk it.

Those that only drive their Cobra on nice days do not have to worry about this....

dude about 90% of those with intakes have never had that happen to them. those who do probably have their filter down next to their oil tank somehow or just somewhere really low to the ground to just get drenched daily. if u do a shorty intake that stays in your engine bay, u are fine.