Air pump, emissions equipment, vacuum lines, & installation

larrendeuce

Sep 13, 2003
Southern NJ
Last year when I removed the stock H I replaced it with a mac prochamber. So I took off all of the smog equipment. I just finished putting on a magnaflow catted x pipe and now I'm hooking up all of the emissions equipment.

The problem I'm having it the air tube that runs to the cats from the air check valve. I can't fit it through everything to hook it up. I had to cut the original one to get it off. Any tips? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

The stock tube is steel and you will have trouble bending it. Try replacing it with some copper tubing/copper pipe or electrical conduit from Home Depot.

To bend the tube, a conduit bender is the best thing. If you don't have one, fill the tube completely full of sand and then try and bend it. The sand helps keep the tube from colapsing or kinking. Some heat helps here, the combination of heat and sand combined with some patience will enable you to bend the tube into almost any shape. I would try to use a large iron pipe (3" or larger) or something similar to bend the tube around so that you get radiused bends.

Here's a removal & installation tip...

Ideally, the tubes are different sizes so that they fit inside each other. Drill a 1/8" hole all the way through the tube coming from the engine about 3" from the end of the tube. Line the two tubes up and then stick a nail in the hole. Then put a wrench up against the nail and hammer away on the wrench. The tubes will slide together, and then clamp them down with the clamp that originally came with the tube. The tubes will overlap about 1" or maybe a little more when they are properly fitted. Then remove the nail and use a pair of sheet metal screws to plug the holes. This works great to separate them again if you have to take it apart at some time in the future.

I used 1/4" threaded rod and made U bolt clamps from it to clamp the tubing together.

I got it all together this morning, after thinking about it I just shoved the tube and it fell into place. I have to stock clamp for the air tube so everything is hooked up. Problem now is I lost a good part of my vacuum lines and I have no idea how to route them, I hooked up the 2 check valves to the others but I don't remember how to properly connect them.

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host) http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/

mustangFoxFordVacuumDiagram.jpg

Attachments

• mustangFoxFordVacuumDiagram.jpg
    mustangFoxFordVacuumDiagram.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 92