Airbag Light

• Sponsors (?)

It flashes a code in a certain sequence. Count how many consecutive pulses you have, followed by a break, and then another series of consecutive pulses. That is the only way to know exactly what is wrong with the airbag system. If you get the code, maybe someone on here will have the code listings. I can maybe dig them up as well.

What YEAR mustang? Most of the time (for pre 94 stangs), it's a bad clockspring. EASY to change! 94+ stangs can get an air bag light if you change the battery (loss of battery error).

See:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/

For 92+:
The 1992 Mustang air bag system is very similar to the 95+ systems. Some codes may have *slightly* different meanings. First see the 1995 diagnostic page.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

The diagnostic monitor is responsible for monitoring the air bag system components and connections. A fault code will be displayed when the ignition switch is in the RUN position and the diagnostic monitor detects a system fault. Certain faults may not be displayed until approximately 30 seconds after the ignition has been switched to the RUN position. This is the amount of time required for the diagnostic monitor to test and verify any and all system faults. The codes are produced by a series of air bag indicator flashes. The fault codes are represented by a two digit decimal number. The two digit fault code will be displayed in the following manner: Flash tens digit, one second pause, flash ones digit, three second pause, repeat cycle. For example, a fault code 32 will be displayed according to:

flash flash flash, one second pause, flash flash, three second pause,

flash flash flash, one second pause, flash flash, three second pause . . .

=============

For 90&91:
o The air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056) illuminates the air bag indicator for approximately six seconds when the ignition switch (11572) is turned to RUN and then turns the air bag indicator off. This indicates that the air bag indicator is operational. If the air bag indicator does not illuminate at all, stays on continuously, or flashes at any time, then a fault has been detected by the air bag diagnostic monitor.

o Diagnostic trouble codes, if present, will begin flashing within 30 seconds after the ignition switch has been turned to RUN. This is the amount of time it takes the air bag diagnostic monitor to perform all tests and verify system faults, if present.

o Diagnostic trouble codes are displayed as a series of flashes and pauses of the air bag indicator. Diagnostic trouble codes are two-digit numbers.

Example: A DTC 3 is displayed as follows:

flash flash flash - (two second pause) -

Example: A Diagnostic Trouble Code 6 indicates that high resistance in the driver side air bag circuit has been, and still is, present.
fl

Let me know what you find and if you have ANY q's!

yeah mines flashing too,

Its a 91,
It flashes 3 times, then pause for 2 secs, Then 3 times,

Code 3 or 33??

How the heck do I fix it?
I actually dont care if the airbag works or not, Its the flashing light that annoys me!!!
I tried taking it off and replacing the airbag with one I had laying around,
Didnt solve it,

it all started when I first bought the car and I took apart the dash under the airbag for something,
I didnt disconnect anything,
and its flashed since :(

Anyone know what to do?
1991 GT is the car

Starscream88 said:
yeah mines flashing too,

Its a 91,
It flashes 3 times, then pause for 2 secs, Then 3 times,

Code 3 or 33??

How the heck do I fix it?
I actually dont care if the airbag works or not, Its the flashing light that annoys me!!!
I tried taking it off and replacing the airbag with one I had laying around,
Didnt solve it,

it all started when I first bought the car and I took apart the dash under the airbag for something,
I didnt disconnect anything,
and its flashed since :(

Anyone know what to do?
1991 GT is the car

See:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/airBag90-91.html#CODE3

It's unfortunate that you have a code 3. There is a good chance that it's the *external battery backup*. Batteries only last so long. The 90's didn't have any backup and the 92+ have a big capacitor for an ~10 sec backup.

Do the checks that I listed in the link. You can try a junkyard. But, you're still going to get a 10+ year old battery that has been charged/dis-charged and exposed to the different temp conditions. A NEW battery is your best bet. Try Napa or Ford.

Do the check, see if you can get a new battery. If you can't get a new backup battery, then you can bypass the battery backup. But, if you loose the battery, then you won't have any air bag protection. In ***MY** view, that's not that big of a deal. There are Very few accidents that happen where the battery is lost before the air bag would activate.

Note: Bypassing the battery backup VIOLATES FEDERAL and many state laws in that it _modifies_ the air bag system. But, you'd have a working air bag system that was "the same" as the 90 system. If you want to bypass the battery backup, send me a PM. I can tell you in theory what would need to be done (super simple!). What you would then do with that information is your choice. For legal and job reasons, I don't tell people how to violate Federal or State laws.

BTW: I'm just covering my rear-end with the following info and warning:

Quote:
Statutory prohibition against deactivating air bags;
statutory authorization for exemption from prohibition
Manufacturers, distributors, dealers(1) and motor vehicle repair businesses(2) are prohibited by 49 U.S.C. 30122 from knowingly making inoperative any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with an applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. The statute, however, allows the agency to prescribe regulations to exempt a person from the "make inoperative" provision if such an exemption is consistent with safety concerns.

Contact the NHTSA for the latest **FEDERAL laws** WRT doing the work yourself. Contact your state for LOCAL laws. Also, selling between states often comes under *diff* laws for the Federal govt and both states.

Note: With the proper forms, and the pre-approval by the NHTSA, if people meet the *specific guidelines*, then an on/off switch can be done *at an authorized location by an authorized mechanic*. The work and switch will be done so that it meets the Federal Guidelines for an optional on/off Air Bag switch for specific air bags (year, make, etc).

Example, the Wisconsin law:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/vehicle/airbag/disable.htm

Removing
You should not remove an airbag. It's against the law.

If you remove, change or tamper with an airbag, you can be subject to the Wisconsin Defective Air Bag Law (2001 Wisconsin Act 28). Any person who unlawfully removes or tampers with an airbag can be subject to a fine of not more than $5,000 or imprisonment for not more than one year in a county jail or both.

More on the Wisconsin law:

(2) No person may, either personally or through an agent, sell,
install, reinstall, or distribute any previously deployed airbag.
This subsection does not apply to the sale of a motor vehicle with
a previously deployed airbag unless the deployment is concealed

(3) No person may, either personally or through an agent,
remove, disconnect, tamper with, or otherwise circumvent the
operation of any airbag, except for the purpose of testing, repairing,
or maintaining an airbag, salvaging an undeployed airbag,
disposing of a deployed airbag, or replacing a deployed airbag
with a functional airbag. This subsection does not apply to the
installation or use of an on*off switch by any person who is
authorized by federal law or regulation to install or use an on*off switch
for an airbag.

(4) No person may, either personally or through an agent,
install a cover or otherwise conceal or disguise a missing airbag
or a previously deployed airbag.

Let me know if you have ANY q's or send me a PM!

Ok...forgot about my own post so now I'm back
Mine is a 91 LX. The light blinks in a steady pattern. One blink, and then a few seconds of pause, then another blink, and a few seconds of pause. Some days it doesn't blink at all. Or it'll blink a while....and 10 minutes later I'll check again and it's not blinking anymore. (this while driving....w/o turning the car off and on again.)...It seems REALLY random. Also, assuming its the worst possble proble, how much do you thinkit would cost. (I am in the middle of a t-5 swap so I"m BROKE) and can I fix all these problems myself?

If I were going to bypass my trouble light only, I would install a 6 OHM or so resistor inside the airbag light bulb holder. This will simulate the presence of an airbag trouble light bulb. If you remove the airbag trouble light bulb from its socket, you'll get an audible alarm from the control module, signifying that the bulb is burned out... But, ya know, that's just me... :lol:

If I didn't care if the airbag is able to deploy, you know...

five_o_stang said:
Ok...forgot about my own post so now I'm back
Mine is a 91 LX. The light blinks in a steady pattern. One blink, and then a few seconds of pause, then another blink, and a few seconds of pause. Some days it doesn't blink at all. Or it'll blink a while....and 10 minutes later I'll check again and it's not blinking anymore. (this while driving....w/o turning the car off and on again.)...It seems REALLY random. Also, assuming its the worst possble proble, how much do you thinkit would cost. (I am in the middle of a t-5 swap so I"m BROKE) and can I fix all these problems myself?

Most of the air bag problems are SIMPLE and CHEAP to fix. Plenty of cheap parts at the salvage yards. :) Most of the time, it between $30 to $100 to fix the problem. I'd say that ~90% of the problems (pre '94) are from the clock spring (~70% of the time) or the battery backup (~20% of the time). BTW: I pulled those numbers out of my rear. But, they get the idea across. :)

Turn the car off. Wait 30 secs. Then, turn the car on and look at the light. It may take upto 30secs for the codes to show. A pre-92 car shouldn't have a steady on light.

If you do get a steady on light, it might be the controller (they are cheap and easy to get). But, first, verify that the controller IS toast by "making an error". An easy way is to:
o disconnect the battery, wait 20 mins
o disconnect a main sensor.
o Connect battery
o Turn car on and see if the controller reports the bad sensor.

This gives an idea of where the sensors are:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/images/airBagSensor95.jpg

FYI:
Air Bag System Functions
o The air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056) illuminates the air bag indicator for approximately six seconds when the ignition switch (11572) is turned to RUN and then turns the air bag indicator off. This indicates that the air bag indicator is operational. If the air bag indicator does not illuminate at all, stays on continuously, or flashes at any time, then a fault has been detected by the air bag diagnostic monitor.

o Diagnostic trouble codes, if present, will begin flashing within 30 seconds after the ignition switch has been turned to RUN. This is the amount of time it takes the air bag diagnostic monitor to perform all tests and verify system faults, if present.

o Diagnostic trouble codes are displayed as a series of flashes and pauses of the air bag indicator. Diagnostic trouble codes are two-digit numbers.

Example: A DTC 3 is displayed as follows:

flash flash flash - (two second pause) -

====

Prove Out System
"PROVE OUT SYSTEM" means to turn the ignition switch (11572) from OFF to RUN and visually monitor the air bag indicator with the air bags installed. The air bag indicator will light continuously for approximately six seconds and then turn off. If an air bag system fault is present, the air bag indicator will either:

o Fail to light

o Remain lit continuously or

o Flash.

The flashing may not occur until approximately 30 seconds after the ignition switch has been turned from OFF to RUN. This is the time required for the air bag diagnostic monitor to complete testing of the air bag system. If the air bag indicator is inoperative and an air bag system fault exists, a tone will sound in a pattern of five sets of five beeps. If this occurs, the air bag indicator will need to be serviced before diagnosis can be continued.

Before I do the unspeakable and "bypass' mine,

This battery backup. Is it a specific type of battery?
Can it just be taken out or is it a total PITA?

And where is it?

The only part of my airbag system ive ever seen is the blue box looking thing behind where the radio is,

Anyone got any pics?

Starscream88 said:
This battery backup. Is it a specific type of battery?
Can it just be taken out or is it a total PITA?
And where is it?

The battery is behind the glove box. *I* would STRONGLY suggest using only a Direct Replacement battery. Most rechargeable batteries are *not* made to handle the temp, vibration, and voltage spike extremes that are seen in a car. Putting a "regular" (12V - equiv) dry cell rechargeable could cause fire and safety problems. I'm surprised that the batteries lasted 10+ years.

I have a 91 Mustang lx. it send the failure code 10 (airbag light). It has something to do with the air bag control module thermal fuse failure? can this also drain the battery. Is the part $$$? once the short is located. Please any good advice is worth it...

Last edited: