All right so what's the best crappiest radio to get then?????

• Sponsors (?)

In my stang, i just bought an aftermarket bezel, cut it to fit the aftermarket modern head unit, and put the orginal bezel away should i ever want to return it to original.

For headunits, try to get a alpine, pioneer, eclipse, or nakachami (never can spell it right). Alpine and pioneers are oodles of features, great sound, look good, decently cheap, good all around choices. Eclipse and nakachami on the other hand, are very very simple looking. They are only concerned about Sound quality, not all the neon lights and other things that make teenagers want to buy them. I believe one of these might fit into a classic stang interior better than the others.

With that said, i went with a new alpine unit that has all the new features ; plays mp3's , and just about every other format. The time correction feature they have is AWESOME. I mounted a set of 6.5 crystal components in custom made kicks, and running off a 100x2 us accoustics amp (very good budget amplifiers btw). Plan on getting a set of 6x9's or somethin to put in the rear deck to use as rear fill running of the HU.

na i don't have any pics right now. I'll try to get my bro's digital cam and take a few though.

Pak...now that i red ur title, i assume your looking for a cheap but good unit. Pioneer generally has some cheap but good ones. Look on ebay, or www.ikesound.com , you should be able to find a nice HU for under $150.

EDIT : http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1151 . Pioneer DEH-P5500MP , plays mp3s and wma's, remote, detachable face, all those good features, all for $168.30. I ordered my alpine from there, got free shipping (dont know if he still does that) and it was at my house in like 3 days, he's a really good guy to buy from.

I agree totally with Taylor on that time-correction feature the Alpines have. It's not a fade, it's actually a signal delay. One of the coolest features ever.

However... I would recommend against IKEsound. Had a bad experience. Then again, I've read all their good reviews on Ebay, so maybe mine was just a nasty fluke. It happens to any business, I can understand that.

Hey guys,

Sorry, didn't men to abandon this thread. I have been stuck traveling thru Asia since right after Thanksgiving and get few chances to log on.

Boy, some of those newer units do look pretty much at home, I must say. especilly yours GP, nice install. Hmmm, maybe I'm being too anal about the whole thing fitting exactly. I guess the 69'/70' model year is a bit easier to modify too the way it's framed. All right cool then, I guess I'll just yank off my face plate and hit the local car stereo place to see what mates up to a clean cut out and go from there, thanks for the pics guys.

I still am not sure how to treat the speakers though. I was thinking of one of the new stereo units that fit the stock dash location for the front. Anyone using those? If so, how are they? There is little choice in the back for verts with no real package try top down. Right now I have some old but decent totally encased pioneers that just sit on the back seats and look like a double arm rest but they have been known to fly around if I take a fast turn. Oh well, one obstacle ata time I guess.

Hey, thanks for all the feedback.

68rustang said:
this sounds like a decent option if you ask me.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=394590

in case you missed that one before.

Blaupunkt used to be really good stuff (LOOOOOOOOOOONG TIME AGO) but I don't know about them anymore. But maybe you can get the bezel without the cd player. Then you could add anything you want.

I have always liked Pioneer,sound great, good clean power but their displays SUCK. I have a few JVC head units that are light on looks but sound great, again good clean power. I have a Clarion CD player that looks awesome but doesn't sound that good when compared to the JVCs for a given amount of power. Panasonics look nice, sound good but tend to overheat when driven too hard. You can't really go by the WATT ratings of a head unit. They are all made up numbers anyway. If power means that much get an external amp.

Rustang, that Blaupunkt looks to be exactly what I would like, in dash CD and all. I wish I could see a pic first though. Anyone know anymore about that item?