ALMOST FAILED SMOG TEST HELP!!!!!!!

revedup

Nov 18, 2005
S.F. Cal,
TECH claimed problem sustaining 25mph steady for the test!!!!!
Tech said he almost gave up and failed it!!
itwas almost 2 years ago
Ill have to test in several months again.
Tech said he almost gave up guess he had to modulate throttle!!!!!
Test numbers came out good though.
Car runs good.
Don,t want tech this year to fail it though.
Techies got any ideas???
i was thinking IAC!
Any other ideas or suggestions
throttlebody clean??:nonono:
numbers were good 218,000 miles !

• Sponsors (?)

FWIW, I myself have a hard time keeping some cars between 25 and 33 mph (that's the range on the testers here IIRC). If you're at a real low RPM (ergo a numerically higher gear), it's even harder IMHO. Yet on the street, it's no problem to maintain a steady speed.

Good luck.

FWIW, I myself have a hard time keeping some cars between 25 and 33 mph (that's the range on the testers here IIRC). If you're at a real low RPM (ergo a numerically higher gear), it's even harder IMHO. Yet on the street, it's no problem to maintain a steady speed.

Good luck.

So you feel thers nothing mechanicaly electricaly ect wrong with my car?
You say youve experienced that theyre hard to maintain 25-33mph naturally the way theyre put together i guess right something like that.
Maybe this tester was impatient and didn't want to waste time trying to get the 25mph on the dyno to pass the test????
Coul this be basicaly the deal/
It,s nice to know probably nothing i need to replace ect though i hope thanx:nonono:

So you feel thers nothing mechanicaly electricaly ect wrong with my car?
You say youve experienced that theyre hard to maintain 25-33mph naturally the way theyre put together i guess right something like that.
Maybe this tester was impatient and didn't want to waste time trying to get the 25mph on the dyno to pass the test????
Coul this be basicaly the deal/
It,s nice to know probably nothing i need to replace ect though i hope thanx:nonono:

Yes, on some cars (mainly automatics if that applies to you), I have had a real hard time keeping the car in the proper range. Now on other cars (including the 88 with a manual trans), I can keep it within a couple MPH without incident. On the cars where I have a hard time keeping it in range, I will shift up (like in an automatic, put it in 3rd instead of OD) and this helps.

In my cases, the cars ran fine otherwise. It was just really hard to keep them in the correct range on the roller. I was bouncing back and forth between low and high range because a hair more throttle would be too high and a hair less would be too low.

I don't know if there are any issues with your car per se. I was only trying to say that having a hard time with this test doesn't mean there is something wrong with your car.

Good luck.

no accesories
on i was able easy to maintain 25 on the street.
i also feel it may have been the rollers makes it more difficult .
I dont feel anythings wrong with my car either
It,s a 5speed alright1:nonono:

I'm not sure I get it...
The tech should not have had to oscilate the throttle to maintain the speed. If he was repeatedly pressing and releasing the throttle, I would *guess* that your emissions would have tested worse becaus of it. You should get best results with steady state running.
With that said... The test should not have started until the target speed had been reached and maintained for a couple of seconds, I would think. I know it took me a couple of seconds to find the sweet spot...

If you are getting ready for emissions, then do the standard tune up stuff.
Pull the diagnostic codes and fix anything that comes up
Replace cap / rotor / plugs / wires (if needed)
Change the oil
Some fuel injector cleaner (seafoam, etc.) wouldn't hurt, but don't test with it in the tank.

What condition are your cats in?

Standard stuff...

My thoughts,
jason

I'm not sure I get it...
The tech should not have had to oscilate the throttle to maintain the speed. If he was repeatedly pressing and releasing the throttle, I would *guess* that your emissions would have tested worse becaus of it. You should get best results with steady state running.
With that said... The test should not have started until the target speed had been reached and maintained for a couple of seconds, I would think. I know it took me a couple of seconds to find the sweet spot...

If you are getting ready for emissions, then do the standard tune up stuff.
Pull the diagnostic codes and fix anything that comes up
Replace cap / rotor / plugs / wires (if needed)
Change the oil
Some fuel injector cleaner (seafoam, etc.) wouldn't hurt, but don't test with it in the tank.

What condition are your cats in?

Standard stuff...

My thoughts,
jason
Yeah i figure the ocilating rollers might have unsteadied his foot or something.
he was having touble probably keeping his foot steady i believe.
I don,t believe car was ocilating on it,s own:nonono:

no accesories
on i was able easy to maintain 25 on the street.
i also feel it may have been the rollers makes it more difficult .
I dont feel anythings wrong with my car either
It,s a 5speed alright1:nonono:

anyway all my no,s were good!!!!!
i initially thought the car was oscilating on its own.i drove today and it steadys easy on the road.