Alternator Help???????

jspagna1

Jan 23, 2007
Connecticut
Well I have a charging problem with my car AGAIN. Every couple of years I have charging issues with my car. I am like on my 4 voltage regulator & my like 3rd alternator. My car is a 1966 coupe & has a late model 5.0 crate motor that is carburated. About a year or two agao when I needed a new alternator the guy at Mustangs Unlimited told me instead of getting the original voltage regulator to get a late model Motocraft voltage regulator because he said with my car being stored over the winter every couple of years the contacts in the voltage regulator probably corrode and that is the source of my problem. Well I did try the later style regulator and I am having problems again.
Question? Do they sell/can I get an alternator with the voltage regulator in one unit and just get rid of my original voltage regulstor? Will this eliminate my problems once and for all? I know I would have to rewire my harness, but at this point I need to try something different cause I am sick of buying alternator/voltage regulators & a new battery every 2-3 years. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

There is obviously an electrical issue. You have a faulty ground or a short in the charging system wiring. I am all up for the gm 10si alternators, but make sure you find that short or it may manifest it self as a fire.

Are you running a larger pulley on the alternator? If you routinely rev the engine high, you may be damaging the alternator. Using a larger pulley will reduce the RPMs turned by the alternator and may help.

you can also get a one wire conversion kit from autokrafter, among other places, as long as you are not using an alternator that puts out more than 55amps. i agree though that you likely have a ground problem somewhere though. as for the battery, get a battery tender for it to keep it charged.

This is what I am thinking of getting?

Mustangs Unlimited

ALTERNATOR 65/78 MUSTANG W/ V-BELT 140 AMP CHROME

Powermaster 140-Amp Alternator, Chrome for 1965-1978 Mustang.

This chrome alternator really puts out the juice. Whether its to supply that high power stereo or massive electric fuel pump, it provides the performance for whatever you the need the current for.

It is internally regulated and hooks up easily with only the included single 6-gauge charge wire. Chrome v-belt pulley is included.

If you are actually burning up alternators this often, one important thing that is often overlooked is the wrong belt. If the belt slips (AND THEY DO AND DO NOT MAKE NOISE),because the belt does not fit the pulley properly, the pully heats up to the point that after a period, it burns up the alternator. You replace the alternator and it works again....until the belt heats the pulley again, then that one is gone too. Did you change the belt when this first started and are still using the same belt? The belt can not bottom in the pulley, if it does, it slips and will ruin alternators. Check you belt, and if its bottomed in the pulley groove, its not the correct belt. This could very well be your problem. One qucik check is to touch the alternator pulley after normal operation. If its extremely hot, the belt is slipping on the pulley, heating the pulley and alternator housing to the point that the alternator fails. I've discovered this more than once after belt/alternator changes. Aftermarket alternators don't always have the same pulley as stock. Same holds true for underdrive pulleys. Not stock, so a stock belt may not work. Something easy to check...

Outlaw