Alternator!

92Frankenstein

Apr 25, 2004
Minnesota
Which vehicles can I get the upgraded 3G alt to run the electric fan??

My junkyard doesnt have any mustangs newer than 89, so what other vehicles did they put them on? and what do I look for on the alt. to make sure it is a 3G?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

They came in 94-95 Mustang GT's. Get one from ebay for like 139.00 New, and a Lifetime Warrenty. Thats what I did. As for the Electric fan, I pulled mine off a 3.8L Mercury Sable, same as the 3.8L Ford Taurus Fan. LOOK below in my sig, for the wire up Install.

Follow the first link...

Here's websites with pictures of the 3G (94 Mustang and later 130 amp alt) installation procedure...

See http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/3G_130A_Alternator_Upgrade.htm - all the tech data you could ever want to know
OR
http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/alternator.html - excellent pictures of installation

For the right way to do the wiring. Some people will tell you that you can skip the wiring upgrade, but it will catch up with you sooner or later. A fire in the wiring harness is ugly and expensive.

Under no circumstances connect the two 10 gauge black/white wires to the 3G alternator. If the fuse blows in the 4 gauge wire, the two 10 gauge wires will be overloaded to the point of catching fire and burning up the wiring harness.

If you have a carb engine, do you really need to do the alternator upgrade to install an electric fan?

The official Fox Mustang book that Ford puts out says that 79-87 cars came with a 60 amp alternator, but if the car came standard with the rear defroster, a 70 amp alternator was substituted.

The 88-93 cars came standard with a 75 watt amp.

(A Spal fan (2360 cfm) draws 21.6 amps)

Well the Taurus fan pulls about 140 amps for miliseconds upon startup, then goes down to like 40 amps, add a radio, a/c, headlights, and all and thats alot of amps being drawn from a 75 amp alternator. 3g alternator upgrade!! :flag:

FiveOhhStang said:
Well the Taurus fan pulls about 140 amps for miliseconds upon startup, then goes down to like 40 amps, add a radio, a/c, headlights, and all and thats alot of amps being drawn from a 75 amp alternator. 3g alternator upgrade!! :flag:
Yeah really.