aluminium drive shaft

• Sponsors (?)

usedtobe 67p51d said:
I just installed a inland empire 3 1/2" diiameter drive shaft in my '67. I had prior problems with vibration @ 65 mph....gone! the car feels so much better at speed If anyone has vibration issues this will help so much....money well spent.

I am looking to replace mine for the same reason. I just purchased new moser axles and got good results out of that, but am still looking for a little more improvement. Where did you get yours and how much did you pay?

cough,$385 ! it's worth it, I was thinking that I might have to cut the tunnel, I have a tremec in a '67. plus the car has tcp motor mounts, subframes global west a-arms and roadrace springs. It's a stiff car you feel everything, the alum drive shaft helps out a ton. plus it weights in at 12#s the stock one I had rebalanced at two shops but it still didn't feel right weights 19#s jb

usedtobe 67p51d said:
they said oh we'll build you a 3" shaft on the phone...when I brougth the car in the're like oh we thought that your just a cruiser if it's over 300# of torque the 3" wont work. I hope I didn't get worked ha ha they didn't want to sell me a 3" for use on the track

I doubt you got worked. Inland Empire Driveline Service http://www.iedls.com/ knows their stuff and have always been upfront with all of my buds and I who use them. I had them make my first shaft for the mustang, and then shorten it and change the yoke when I went to the 6 speed.

Did you get solid u-joints when you were there?

usedtobe 67p51d said:
I just installed a inland empire 3 1/2" diiameter drive shaft in my '67. I had prior problems with vibration @ 65 mph....gone! the car feels so much better at speed If anyone has vibration issues this will help so much....money well spent.

I was having some vibrations and switching to an aluminum driveshaft fixed them for me too. Problem was, I was too late and my old driveshaft split in two at 65mph and beat up my floors pretty good. I have pictures at my web site. :(

eric n said:
SORRY for being uninformed, but how much rwhp should an aluminum driveshaft take???

My 3" aluminum was handing 568 RWHP and 590 RWTQ with street tires, until I put ET streets on. Then I broke 2 in a row on the first launches.

eric n said:
SORRY for being uninformed, but how much rwhp should an aluminum driveshaft take???

Its not the HP that kills the driveshaft, its traction.
If you are running street tires you will , in all likely hood, never break a 3 inch aluminum driveshaft. I run one on my 65 mustang with a 408 cleveland stroker. I also don't run slicks, at best I will run Drag radials, but these tires will still have a little spin to them and combined with my auto drive line I am not worried about the driveshaft.

If it was a stick shift car I would be since they tend to jar the driveline a lot more.