Aluminum DOHC into 2000GT?

BDCARDINAL,
Do these non-cobra DOHC's (Iron and Aluminum Block) have forged internals? Where can we see some specs? Many thanks!

I spoke with a Ford Engine builder / tuner about the Aluminum blocks and he felt they were probably OK for most street applications. He felt the iron block was more stable and held up better/ longer in heavily modidfied applications, and was a better choice for high rpm/HP drag cars.

• Sponsors (?)

CuddaWuddaShuda said:
You can't discount the piston flange issue. Everyone knows that iron block has thrombolitic piston flanges which tend to become brittle and distended with age. My buddy has a '77 Nova with an electric supercharger, slapper bars, and a Pontiac 301 and he says it would run low sixes in the eigth-mile if it weren't for those damn stock piston flanges.

:lol: I guess you have poke fun if you can't cry! :rlaugh:

klrskies said:
BDCARDINAL,
Do these non-cobra DOHC's (Iron and Aluminum Block) have forged internals? Where can we see some specs? Many thanks!

I spoke with a Ford Engine builder / tuner about the Aluminum blocks and he felt they were probably OK for most street applications. He felt the iron block was more stable and held up better/ longer in heavily modidfied applications, and was a better choice for high rpm/HP drag cars.

The 03 cobra is the only engine that has forged internals. Any of the DOHC motors 99+ should have a steel crank but the rods/pistons are not forged.

kirkyg

If you have the money you should definitely do it! Personally I'm not touching anything power related on my car because I have a bored and stroked aluminum block 2003 cobra dohc motor that I'm piecing together as the cash comes in. Once I get it built, blown, and tuned I'll pull my stock 2v

Everything you need to do it is out there, e.g. mounts, computer, etc.

If you do it, do it right and get yourself a motor that is built exactly the way you want it before you put it into the car. You should also select your tranny in advance...and yes you can use either a 5 or 6 speed manual.

pheonix, can you hook me up with information on exactly what all you bought from where, and how much it cost you? I would just get a 03 cobra long block but its very difficult to know without hands on what will and wont work. What id really like to purchase is an 03 cobra long block with all the 03 cobra intercooler equipment and then i could purchase an 03 cobra 2.4L kit from Kenne Bell. But i dont know if thats even close to feasible. The problem im finding is that to get the engine i want a 99+ cobra, mach 1 4valve to build up...i would have to buy the KB kit for the 99+ cobra / mach 1 to work which could run me 6600+ bucks + i will still have to buy forged internals which would run me atleast another 2000-2500...

I'm trying to find either a REALLY cheap 99-01 cobra motor to build up or find someone willing to sell me exactly what i need to be able to mount a 03 cobra KB kit which would save me thousands in the end.

kirkyg

pick up a copy of Sean Hyland's book, he goes on and on about this very arguement. one of the things he says is that a lot of the aluminum blocks can be taken up to 1200hp IIRC. the stock connecting rods suck, plain and simple, except for the ones in the 03/04 cobra. they all have hyper pistons, which are fine, but if you are going to do any serious buildup go forged. also i believe all the 4v 4.6 motors had forged cranks except the 03/04 marauder, and the 03/04 automatic mach 1. the teksid and WAP aluminum blocks are both good blocks. i believe even without seeing it that the 2000 aluminum block that started said convo is a WAP (windsor aluminum plant) block.

twogts4us said:
I'm with ya Aaron. If you get tired of this and really wanna get pissed, head over to Mustang Talk where they discuss getting drunk, puking, getting puked on, pets puking, relatives or family members sick, dying or dead...
I, too, am really getting tired of some of this crap...
Head over to MD
u forgot: usless bickering over the war, black RSX car, and 32v's vids
just thought id help ya out!:nice:

Without the good crank. rod's and pistons,it doesn't look like there isn't much bang for the buck picking up a non-cobra DOHC Aluminum block, unless you can source some good interrnal parts cheap. Looks by the time you buy the good parts for it you'll have about as much in it as a used cobra block anyway.