Thoughts on Camshaft for a build with stock bottom end and aluminum heads with 2.02 I 1.60 Ex. closed chamber 64cc heads.

Wdshook

Jan 14, 2024
Greenville, S.C.
89 Lx . Going to used for autocross. Its been awhile since I played with pushrod engine. I was wondering if you guys have experience or thoughts on a particular camshaft for application. Stock bottom end aluminum heads 2.02 and 1.60 valves. 64 cc closed chamber. 5spd. 3.73 ring and pinion. Its been over 25 years since I put one together and a much larger selection of camshafts available. Large valves and chamber to allow for supercharger in future. Thoughts and Opinions please.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the site! I'm going to tag someone else that may be able to offer more specific help with your question. It also might be a good idea to start a thread in the Fox section where you'll get more exposure and will most likely get more responses. I've tagged one of our mods that can help migrate this to that section for you too. Good luck with your project!

@Warhorse Racing
@Noobz347

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the site! I'm going to tag someone else that may be able to offer more specific help with your question. It also might be a good idea to start a thread in the Fox section where you'll get more exposure and will most likely get more responses. I've tagged one of our mods that can help migrate this to that section for you too. Good luck with your project!

@Warhorse Racing
@Noobz347
Now, you can move threads too. You will come across the controls. Be careful with merges/deletes and holler if you have questions or make an "oops". :coff:

• Surprised
Email Ed Curtis at Flowtech and have him lay out the top end of the motor. He sells everything and can dial the motor in for what you are wanting to do.

You really should look at a tune but these stock processors are now 30+ years old. Several of us are moving away from the stock Ford EEC and getting an aftermarket system to run the motor like a Holley Terminator X, MSPnP, or MegaSquirt.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone knows that the B cam is the cam for any situation.
It is Legend.

Every time you tell people that, I have to deal with the repercussions.

1705270467203.png

It's no wonder folks think aliens are running around all the sudden. :coff:

The engine mods I've made to my current autocross cars are basic bolt-on parts. My 1992 GT, 2000 GT & 2004 V6 all have OEM heads and cams. I have much more experience with suspension mods for these cars. I'm happy to help answer any autocross suspension/driving questions you have.

I know there are many helpful people on this forum who can give you good advice about specific engine mods. I will say that, in general, you don't need a massive amount of horsepower to autocross your Mustang (I've done pretty well at my local events with my 3.8L SN95, and I'm currently building a naturally-aspirated 2.3L Fox). The types of events (local, regional, national) you plan on doing and the SCCA Category/Class you choose will factor into how much power you'll need to be competitive. I often tell people in 600 hp cars that they will only need 1/3 of that power out on course.

Everyone has someone they use for cams . Ed is great he makes great power but he is not a guy you’ll speak to on the phone . You fill his sheet out , he makes you the cam you deal through email and done .

My go to is Brian Freezy (Freezy 74) from the Coral days . You can speak to him tell him what you have and are doing etc and he will get you all setup .

Reactions: 2 users
I can say I have talked directly to Ed on the phone but it was after filling out the cam spec sheet and the cam he spec'd is a touch over 0.700 on lift and solid roller so he had questions about the rest of the build. On the other two it was all via email. I know several guys that are running heads, intakes, and cam he spec'd and sold to them and the motors perform very well.

If Freezy is still around that guy is amazing. Talk about an encyclopedia for cams and how timing events work. I just checked over on the Corral and he was last see Dec of 2023 so he is still lurking there.

...and to paraphrase a quote that I recall Ed making in this very forum:

"Don't expect replies if the form isn't filled out".

Without it, you are essentially a [time waster].

So, if you get stuck on anything (with the form, I mean), let the dudes here help get it straight.

I can say I have talked directly to Ed on the phone but it was after filling out the cam spec sheet and the cam he spec'd is a touch over 0.700 on lift and solid roller so he had questions about the rest of the build. On the other two it was all via email. I know several guys that are running heads, intakes, and cam he spec'd and sold to them and the motors perform very well.

If Freezy is still around that guy is amazing. Talk about an encyclopedia for cams and how timing events work. I just checked over on the Corral and he was last see Dec of 2023 so he is still lurking there.
Brian is around and well , we all go racing at the same tracks , he’s actually street tuned my drive ability at my house with me in the past

The engine mods I've made to my current autocross cars are basic bolt-on parts. My 1992 GT, 2000 GT & 2004 V6 all have OEM heads and cams. I have much more experience with suspension mods for these cars. I'm happy to help answer any autocross suspension/driving questions you have.

I know there are many helpful people on this forum who can give you good advice about specific engine mods. I will say that, in general, you don't need a massive amount of horsepower to autocross your Mustang (I've done pretty well at my local events with my 3.8L SN95, and I'm currently building a naturally-aspirated 2.3L Fox). The types of events (local, regional, national) you plan on doing and the SCCA Category/Class you choose will factor into how much power you'll need to be competitive. I often tell people in 600 hp cars that they will only need 1/3 of that power out on course.
Thanks, if I run into any suspension questions I'll be sure to contact. Better to have a slow car be fast than a fast car be slow.

Everyone has someone they use for cams . Ed is great he makes great power but he is not a guy you’ll speak to on the phone . You fill his sheet out , he makes you the cam you deal through email and done .

My go to is Brian Freezy (Freezy 74) from the Coral days . You can speak to him tell him what you have and are doing etc and he will get you all setup .
I second Brian, he specd out my custom cam and bullet made it. Had a few conversations with him on the phone and he was very thorough

Reactions: 1 users