Aluminum Heads - I can't pull the valves out!

Hey guys need your help. I have a set of Edelbrock performer heads. I have stripped them down and all I have left in them is the valves themselves. The seals, springs etc. have all been removed.

I pulled two valves out but can't get the other ones pulled out all the way. I thought the tops of the valves had small burs which were catching in the guides so I filed away any that I could see. They now feel and look completely round. Will I score the guide passages by pulling them through? If i do will that hurt anything? The valves are pretty tight in there.....

They were fully assembled when bought from edelbrock. only 7000k on them. Please help.

• Sponsors (?)

sometimes the valves can mushroom slightly on top but i dont think its normal. measure the top part of the valve and then somehwere a bit down and see if there are any discrepancies. also how far can you pull the valve out before it starts to get stuck?

If you have access to a micrometer, I'd suggest taking paintballtommy's advice on measuring the valve tip versus the stem diameter, to be sure they're not going to damage the guides. You may end up having to cut the valve tips off where the keepers would go if they won't come out smoothly/if they're larger at the tip vs. the stem.

often times if the motor has been reved high or over-reved, the locks/keepers will put a burr on the stem where the two halves meet that has to be filed off for the stem to come through. I've seen guys just bull the stem out and cut a nice groove through their bronze guides before - be CAREFUL and don't force anything.

often times if the motor has been reved high or over-reved, the keepers will put a burr on the stem whee the two halves meet that has to be filed off for the stem to come through. I've seen guys just bull the stem out and cut a nice groove through their bronze guides before - be CAREFUL and don't force anything.

Thanks guys.

Tmoss your right.

:bang: UUGGGGHH I think I did that on some before I posted. I filed the tiny burs I could see but it still wouldn't help. I pulled some out which scratched the inside of the bronze guides like you warned about. Not so much grooved but pretty scratched up. When I put the valve back in after oiling it they seem to slide like they did before disassembly. If I scratch them versus groove them is there a difference? Any what happens when they are grooved? Please don't tell me I need new guides...

I bought these heads used with 7000 k on them but is that normal?