Am I gonna blow up?

There is a hose that runs from the fuel tank to the filler nozzle; I believe that it is just merely a breathing hose for the tank - it's different from the filler hose. The problem is that last weekend while I was having a custom catback made for my Mach I to go around the panhard bar, the tech damaged the hose. They tried to use a sleeve to stop any leaks, and at the time I was tired enough that I agreed that that would be ok for now, but I would bring it back later for a new hose (today).

I drove it home (1hr), and as I get out of the car, I notice a couple of drips of fuel every 5 seconds or so coming off the plastic fuel tank shield. I could see the flow from the hose to this part, so I'm not worried that the leak is eslewhere rather than the original damage. Not so good, but not so bad. I drive it a couple more times during the week with the same results.

Today I went to fill up the tank and once I get back, the car is pouring out fuel. Three streams of constant flow of about two drops in diameter are coming down off the plastic fuel tank shield. I watch this flow rate continue for about 10 minutes before it starts slowing. I estimate that I lost at least a gallon.

Here's what I think happened: I filled the tank to a point higher up than the breach in the hose, so gravity was forcing the fuel out. The drip should stop when the level of the breach equals the level of fuel in the tank. Does this sound plausible? Can I risk making an hour car ride back to the shop after it stops dripping, or should I be calling a tow truck? Help! :(

• Sponsors (?)