Amp selection? what brands to get, what to avoid. What do you have?

Guys, Im Amp shopping as my neighbor lent me this little 10inch single sub. I plan on going at least a single 12 in the future, (maybe double), so I want something matched to that. I have looked and looked but I don't know what companies to avoid and what companies to look into.

I know Sony amps BLOW, but what about Rockford Fosgate? Profile? Pioneer? What amount of watts? Here's two idea's I had:

1)Use the little rinky dink 10 inch, with this amp and wire it up:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZmXB5a8mVOf/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=489AP1000M
This way I can afford the wiring too, and I can at least have something.

The only thing Im worried about is if that is a good amp or not, I mean its cheap and has nice wattage, but will it really kick? Is it a good company?

2) OR I can give the 10 inch back to my neighbor, buy this setup and save for the wires and such, and have a box built for next to nothing by a buddy:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZmXB5a8mVOf/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=208250&I=700ROCKP12

What do you guys run? how much did it cost? What would you suggest i do, as i have 250 buck to spend TONITE.

• Sponsors (?)

profile amps are pretty good, but you can go better for the same money. as for the rockford package, i wouldnt buy it. The stage 1 is pretty crappy. here is what i have:
2 10" eclipses, 200 watts rms each @ 4 ohm - shipped: $120 $60 each)
Audiobahn A4004V - Shipped: $152

i gotta say audiobahn amps have some quality control issues. a friend of mine blew his in a matter of hours, and mine came with a burnt channel from the factory. They are hit or miss, but if you get a good one, hold on to your knickers!! so as of right now i have only one sub working, and this 10" THUMPS. for a $60 sub (ebay baby) it out performs my friends system that has 2 12" infinities. (this is one 10" too :p) Do your research on crutchfield, then go to ebay and find the same stuff for tons less, from reputable stores. heres a pic of my newely finished system.
system3.jpg

system2.jpg

amp1.jpg

w/o plexiglass cover on amp
trunk5.jpg

2006_0412firstnite0005.jpg
very big magnet, dont be fooled by the basket

Attachments

• system3.jpg
    system3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 89
  • system2.jpg
    system2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 134
  • amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 80
  • trunk5.jpg
    trunk5.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 2006_0412firstnite0005.jpg
    2006_0412firstnite0005.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 72
i have a rockford fosgate 300 watt, one channel (mono) amp. it's powering one diamond CM3 dual voice coil (4 ohm, wired in parallel for 2 ohm impedance), and it bumps great. about 300 brand new.

As far as bang for the buck, you CAN'T beat Power Acoustik. I bought a 1200watt Gothic Series amp for $140 shipped to my house... and that thing pounded the crap out of my two 12" Audiobahns. Unfortunately, leaky rear hatch window led to it's demise... :notnice:

I now have the 980watt Bass Series which still does nicely.

I had a sony X-plod and I thought it was good but as soon as walmart started selling them people said oh they must be crap.
I have a 1000W Kenwood fan cooled right now and love it. I had and know alot of guys with the Fosgate amps and they pound hard but I don't think they have an internial fuse but they might have changed that in the last 2 years.

I Dislike Sony, i had an explode amp and that is what it did was exploded, it shorted out inside and burned the paint on the outside......go sony :notnice:
I have a memphis amp right now it is a true 400w rms amp. Their customer service is what makes me like them. An external wire came loose and shorted out the power terminal, (not the manufactures fault) i called them to see about getting it fixed. I sent it to them and they sent my back and all i had to pay was the $11 shipping. Works great going on 4 years, Fosgate is overated, IMO i dont like them. I have had a few kenwood amps those are a hit and a miss like the audiobahan amps above. Alpine makes a good amp also, REMEMBER YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, Hope this gives you some guidance