Another Axle question drum-disc

Joe Jr.

Founding Member
Nov 16, 2001
Longmont area of Colorado
I'm shopping for 31 splines for the Notch and i'm going with stock length so i can go 9" wheels, but was wondering if there is a difference between axles for drum brakes versus disc? I'm also going to go the disc route, but have noticed some axles being listed for drum brakes.....what's the difference? Is there one? Besides the abs tone ring on the newer sn95 axles.....

thanks
Joe

• Sponsors (?)

A common disc swap is the 87-88 t-bird turbo coupe rear end. it comes with the disc brakes and 3.55 or 3.73s. The turbo coupe axles are .75" longer than stock mustang axles up to 1993. i'm thinking that other disc swaps might have that same axle as well??

As far as lengths go, i dont think so, i don't see why the axles would change depending on what kind of brakes you are running. For example, when people buy the kit to change their rear drums to disc brakes, the kits never mention anything about the axles. It's just a straight swap.

Lol...i reread my first post, and yea it doesn't really answer the question. lol...been a long day.

As far as axle length goes there is no difference that I'm aware of, and as far as I know disks will work on any fox using drums. If you are going with stock axle length then you will need an offset caliper bracket like the North Racecars Cobra bracket ( http://www.northracecars.com/catalog/brakes/brakes.htm ) That is if you want Cobra rotors in the rear. I have also heard of folks modifying the FRP M-2300-M brake kit to work with a fox rear.