Another issue on my 2000 v6 DD.

FordStang

Founding Member
Sep 19, 2002
Orange Park, FL
Well about a week ago I posted about my rear caliper/hose leaking break fluid. Well since ive been checking brake fluid often, now I noticed some oil sitting in the little valley I guess you can call it on top of where the water pump bolts onto the front of the motor. I have a side angle shot that I took of the oil. Oh and I wiped up the oil and in two days later it is back. So my question is where would this oil be coming from. Checked valve covers ect nothing. It looks like its leaking from behind where the water pump bolts up.

Attachments

• oil leak.jpg
    oil leak.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Sponsors (?)

There is no O-ring. The oil pressure sender screws directly into the block with pipe seal (or teflon) on the threads. I suspose it is possible that the thread seals are leaking. But somehow, I doubt it. They cost less than $15 (maybe even <$10).

SO are you losing any oil ? Like frequent top up's. There's only limited places it can be coming from; once you find out what system is losing oil you are halfway there to solving it.:canada:

It could be the oil sender, but only IF the sender were located in that general area. I've included a few pics I just snapped today under the hood. In the first image, is where the oil sender is located... on a 94-98. It's the round grey thing with the black plug on it just to the right of the water pump. If I'm not mistaken, the heads and intake are different on 99-04 V6, but the block and timing cover are the same. The sender is attached to a tube that comes from the timing cover. If oil were leaking from that, it would not make its way onto the water pump valley area.

The next image is the same side of pump that's in your picture. It's more difficult to see because so much is in the way. As you can see, I also have nasty leakage problems. Only I believe the wetness on the block is coolant from the head, and the stuff on the left side of the pump is oil, probably from the upper side of the timing cover. The cover has been leaking small amounts for years.

The last image is on the other side of the pump, just next to the water neck. All that mess is coolant coming from the head, and where the head meets the lower intake and block. I just cleaned all that mess off from both sides 2 days ago. There wasn't a drop of anything on it when I was done. Now look at it. Seems to be getting worse every month. That small dry looking spot in the middle of all the wetness is where I just sprayed ... seems futile to clean it now.

Now that you sen these, you can get a better idea of what may be leaking. I suspect either your timing cover (if its oil) or the cylinder head on that side if its coolant. Forget where the water neck is on 99-04 models. If it's in the same spot, then that could also be leaking. Or the pump. Best way to find out, spray everything down with concentrated simple green, let sit 5 minutes, then hose of. Drive for a halof hour then check for leaks.

Attachments

• IMAG0120.jpg
    IMAG0120.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 84