Another Lowering Springs Question

Dec 18, 2012
I'm wondering, if I lower my car with the ford b springs, will the stock shocks be detrimental to the car? I'm trying to get rid of the wheel gap. I'm not trying to drag the car on the ground, just bring it down a little. I'd like to replace the shocks eventually, just not until summer. I'm running 235 45 tires. Is it safe to assume I won't have rubbing? I've read some threads on it, but I'm having trouble finding a straight answer.

I lifted my old jeep myself, so I thought I'd give lowering a car a shot.

• Sponsors (?)

Years ago my first suspension mod to my '88 vert was the FRPP B springs. Ran them for a long time with the stock shocks and struts. I've since spent alot of money under there now.
It should be fine with the 235/45's up front as I run 245's. Do yourself a favor and get new "urethane spring isolaters" as well with the new springs.

You will enjoy the stance with the B springs.

How lon
Years ago my first suspension mod to my '88 vert was the FRPP B springs. Ran them for a long time with the stock shocks and struts. I've since spent alot of money under there now.
It should be fine with the 235/45's up front as I run 245's. Do yourself a favor and get new "urethane spring isolaters" as well with the new springs.

You will enjoy the stance with the B springs.

how long did it take you to put them on?

That's fast.
Your mechanic friend must have done many before.
My first time dealing with springs took about 4 hours by myself.
There is a learning curve to overcome.

This is about what it took me. I'm running the FRPP 'B' springs and really like the stance. I'm running 245/50/16's and don't have any rubbing issues. I's also running stock replacement shocks and don't have any issue. Not the smoothest car I've ever ridden in, but it is 22 years old. Here's a pic as well.

0_0_fbcfe38b96ebe0e292d17843ca7dca55_1

This is about what it took me. I'm running the FRPP 'B' springs and really like the stance. I'm running 245/50/16's and don't have any rubbing issues. I's also running stock replacement shocks and don't have any issue. Not the smoothest car I've ever ridden in, but it is 22 years old. Here's a pic as well.

I like how yours sits. How much lower does the B springs make your car?
I can't just go out and buy a whole spring kit, because I have coil overs up front. So I'm going to have to buy JUST back ones (and I can through Summit) but I need to know which amount of drop I need.

Can you still fit a regular floorjack under the car?

That's fast.
Your mechanic friend must have done many before.
My first time dealing with springs took about 4 hours by myself.
There is a learning curve to overcome.

He's changed a bunch of them over the years. Once we get the car up on jack stands, I remove the wheels and he's right behind me with the springs. We help each other with our cars. He's a mechanic and I paint so we keep each other busy. LOL
I rode on the B springs for a few years but they were a bit on the stiff side and I didn't mind. But my wife drives the vert from time to time and she was complaining about the ride. LOL
So, last year George and I tackled it again and swap the B's for a set of Saleen Racecraft springs that we had previously removed from my SSC. The Racecraft springs are notorious for sagging in the rear over time so I had replaced them with Eibachs.
We cut a half coil off the front springs to compensate for the sag in the rears and reinstalled them on my vert. I looks (and rides) real nice now.
Sits perfect, don't you think?
2012-03-13_17-07-48_262.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I've got an old 7000 lb floor jack. Oddly enough it slides right under my Fox cars with no problems. That included 3 cars, one with B springs (sold), one with "cut" Racecrafts (pic), and one with Eibach Pro-Kit.
However, if they were a 1/2" lower my jack would not work.

Guess I got lucky

An hour for a noob? No way in hell. More like a whole day.

I agree with said above about using new isolators (i consider it a must), but the issue will be they raise the car about a quarter of an inch. B springs and energy suspension isolaters may not give you much of a change.

Me personally i feel you can't go wrong with the eibach pro lowering springs.

An hour for a noob? No way in hell. More like a whole day.

I agree with said above about using new isolators (i consider it a must), but the issue will be they raise the car about a quarter of an inch. B springs and energy suspension isolaters may not give you much of a change.

Me personally i feel you can't go wrong with the eibach pro lowering springs.

Agreed! If OP wants to spend a little extra money, the Eibach Pro Kit is money well spent in stance and ride quality.
For reference, here's my SSC with the Eibach Pro-Kit with Maximum Motorsports isolaters.
2012-03-15_17-46-37_802.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
OP, here's one more pic for reference. This an old pic I found from back in the day (late 90's) when my car was sitting on the B springs. Still had period popular mods for the time, including LX taillights, Saleen wing, and '95 Cobra R replicas. LOL

I know, I'm a pic whore.
1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I can't get a regular jack under there. Driving up on the couple of short 2x4's as mentioned will make the difference.

I have a low profile jack though so I can get underneath the Subaru when it's driven on 2x4's...it barely fits under the Fox with the 'B' springs installed and without using the 2x4's.

I like how yours sits. How much lower does the B springs make your car?
I can't just go out and buy a whole spring kit, because I have coil overs up front. So I'm going to have to buy JUST back ones (and I can through Summit) but I need to know which amount of drop I need.

It was around 3/4" - 1". I've barely got 1 finger gap in the front and a little over 1 in the back.

Agreed! If OP wants to spend a little extra money, the Eibach Pro Kit is money well spent in stance and ride quality.
For reference, here's my SSC with the Eibach Pro-Kit with Maximum Motorsports isolaters.
2012-03-15_17-46-37_802.jpg
I have the pro kit in my car with no lower iso in the front and poly iso s out back and tockico front and rear shock and struts and i love it.

Attachments

• 15629_4595006470623_1691841269_n.jpg
    15629_4595006470623_1691841269_n.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 123