Antifreeze Problem

jefferz

Oct 21, 2004
Spokane, WA
Today when i stopped to get gas I saw that smoke was coming out of the hood of my car. I immediately got in and checked the temp gauge and it was in between the O and the R on Normal.

I then opened the hood and there was antifreeze on the top of the engine and it was leaking onto the ground. I checked the overflow to make sure it was full and it was pretty close.

I don't know if this is the headgasket or what but does anyone have an idea?

I haven't seen any white smoke. Well there was a little bit but it was more of a blackish color but that was about a month ago and I haven't had any problems since. Anyone have an idea?

could it just be a hose or something?

heres the one pic I took:

0616071001.jpg

Thanks,

Jeff

• Sponsors (?)

I'd put my money on the thermostat housing or bypass hose that runs to it. I had the pressed in fitting on the housing for the bypass hose come completely out on my car once. Luckily, since I was in the middle of nowhere (central IL) when I broke down and pulled off the expressway, there was a gas station, motel, and Ford dealer all right there. I was on the road the next morning. My water pump looked exactly like that, btw.

when it's the WP there is a weep hole that it leaks out of, near the bottom of the WP. With coolant on the top of the TC, I would lean towards a leaking hose/tstat housing/TC gasket/etc.
scott

I just had the same problem and it was the thermostat gasket. I tried some new sealant and got the leak. I went back with the tried and true Red RTV sealant and now there's no leak. Or it could be one of those by pass hoses near the thermostat housing.

Get the car warmed up and feel around (be careful it will be hot) under the thermostat housing or get one of those flexible mirrors - similar to the dentist - from your local parts store and take a look. I could see the antifreeze dripping.

Clean up the area, and rent a coolant pressure tester from the auto parts store. You will see where the leaks coming from. But yea the stock aluminum T-stat housings are prone to warp and leak so it could be that. But yea check soses and the water pump too.