Any Australians here? Looking for parts...

well, I prefer the BA/BF engines, it just makes things easier for me all around...as for VCT, i'll use it if it has it(I'm sure I can get MegaSquirt to run it(even if I have to write the code in myself) but its no big deal if it doesn't...I have read that NA engines when turbocharged have issues with valvesprings? having turboed more than a few different NA engines myself, I'm wondering why that would be? Valvesprings in my experience have nothing to do with boost, unless you are using big cams, and if you're using big cams, then most of the time they arent meant for forced induction...or maybe I should say in my experience I havent run into valvesprings as an issue(I suppose theoretically if the springs were weak enough the extra cylinder pressure might force the valves back open?)

• Sponsors (?)

well, I prefer the BA/BF engines, it just makes things easier for me all around...as for VCT, i'll use it if it has it(I'm sure I can get MegaSquirt to run it(even if I have to write the code in myself) but its no big deal if it doesn't...I have read that NA engines when turbocharged have issues with valvesprings? having turboed more than a few different NA engines myself, I'm wondering why that would be? Valvesprings in my experience have nothing to do with boost, unless you are using big cams, and if you're using big cams, then most of the time they arent meant for forced induction...or maybe I should say in my experience I havent run into valvesprings as an issue(I suppose theoretically if the springs were weak enough the extra cylinder pressure might force the valves back open?)

it's not a DOHC motor, but i was trying to save you some shipping. the SOHC motor is better than any regular old american inline 6

very true, and it is a good option if I cant get one of the others at roughly the same price, I think I'll at least be buying the tranny and related parts from them because from what I read the BA engine will bolt up to the earlier trannies...though I have no idea what I'll do about the shifter yet, looking at the picture it looks to be some type of shift linkage setup(which will allow me to put the shifter wherever I want, but will most likely be a pain to hook up without all the aussie parts)

Good to see your interst in Aus Ford Muscle. The BA motor is definitely the one to go for if you can afford the $$. It's the most recent design and the 'Typhoon' motor is awesome. I think they all have ZF boxes in them now, at least the automatics are.

Ford sixes in Aus pretty much went like this: 170-250cui american motor up until the mid/late 70's. (we did get a factory 2V version that had bolt on inlet manifolds in the '70's). They then went to a cast iron x-flow head and then finally an alloy head which ran until '88 as a pushrod motor (mostly 4.1L, but a 3.3 was available too). Then came the EA in 1988, the first of the OHC engines. Big end and main bearings were the same as the old pushrod engine so I'm guessing the crank and bottom end were similar if not the same as the older motors, but the block was definitely different.

There was quite a few minor changes/improvements from then on until the BA which was the first twin cam.

Get em while you can, the engine is dead. Next models will have a V6.

it sucks, I'm always picking up obsolete engines...do you by any chance know whats different internally(other than compression ratio) between the NA and Turbo engines? I'm thinking I'm just going to pick up a NA engine and turbocharge it on a low amount of boost for now and then build it later for some real boost, any links to XR6 engine kits(pistons, rods, etc) are of course appreciated...I've heard the name Atomic Engine bounced around...