any computer guys in here?

mustangkid05

Mar 10, 2006
i need help big time, for about a week when i turn my computer on everything will load up fine, but then all the icons just dissapear, and will come back for a brief moment, then go away. And it does this constantly, and i cannot get into my files or nothing
any ideas?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Stop surfing **** sites....

If you can't get the computer to run at all, it might be hard to fix. You would need a bootable CD that has recovery/repair/virus/spyware and other tools on it. They are out there but if you don't know what you are doing you could do more damage then good.

If you can get the computer booted, download "Spybot Seach and Destroy" and a virus scanner on to a CD from another PC and run them on the bad computer.

Then, backup all your data and rebuild the PC.

~K

or something else to look into. is if you have a spare hd laying around... you can load a windows or Linux onto that. and then hook your other hd as a secondary. and pull the info you NEED off of it, swipe the drive and there you have it...

But the main thing is what type of OS are you running.. Because guys remember windows doesn't last forever, it actually recommends that you clean and reinstall it once every year to two years to keep it running correctly windows collects too much junk. clean it, (restore it) and it will run better...

ohh also if you are wanting to run Linux but don't think that it will work with Microsoft office.. wrong look and read into the WINE EMULATOR, it will work with alot of components that don't work for both mac and linux.. and convert them to run..

GET RID OF NORTON...They SUCK and are a memory / proccessor HOG!

My preference is trend micro's internet security suite, can get off ebay for cheap! We have used Trend all my past companies, one of them being Intel. 8^)

Try reading over this site http://www.ubcd4win.com/ or http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and do some virus/spyware scans on your current installation.

A good WinBlowz box with a good admin will run for a while. I have an XP box that I built about 4+ years ago and still running the same install, and has been running as my main pc for email, FTP Server, MP3 and DVD storage and is on 24/7 without any OS problems. I just don't take any MS updates. However I also don't surf the web and play around on that box....that what my laptop is for.

As for Linux, granted the new Distro's are very user friendly to install but hard to get some things to work on them, such as CD recorders, etc. But all the software is free.

Mac's lets not get started on that...

As a last resort, you could go buy a new Hard Drive from Best Buy ,etc. Install it in the PC, install a new OS, install a virus protector then hook up your old drive as a slave drive (see jumpers) and copy the data you need and wipe it when you are done.
~K

Spybot S&D is a great program. Try and get that installed, or at least onto a CD. Reboot your machine in safe mode and run spybot. It's key to run these programs in safe mode, so that they can access and repair ALL needed files. I have Symantec Antivirus and Firefox, and I haven't had any problems in years.

my computer runs xp pro. and i have had to reinstall it once a year.. but it uses internet. running 24/7 and when i get bored i see what small things i can change to get it to run slightly better.. it works for a while...

Mac is only good for a small number of things.. like my mom does graphic design good for a mac...

linux is by far my fav. now only if i could get it back onto my computer without using wubi.. so i can play with it..

i just don't really like windows all that much there are better out there... and for the record i think VISTA sucks balls!!

Every OS has its own uses.

XP = for the average user / office environment
Mac = for the Graphics, web designers or people who hate windows but scared of Linux.
Linux = For the people who like to play around and willing to read on how to do stuff.
Unix / Solaris = Mission critical servers - Web, SQL, CVS, long live CLI!

Vista = Good for pissing the average person off enough to buy XP again.

~K

Norton does not suck. Look at getting norton 360, its good for 3 computers and it has a lighter footprint than previous versions. The reason symantec products use more system resources, is because they are working HARD on stopping viruses. I have ran norton for over 10 years, and I have never had a problem.

**** sites, crack sites, etc all have a plethora of spyware and pop ups. With service pack 2, firefox, and norton 360 have never had one problem and I live on my computer.

MustangKid-

You can also look at your process running, and see if anything looks strange. If you see a weird looking process running, try to end it to see if that solves your problem. A lot of times once you delete the process it will reload itself. If this happends, or once you know the file name, you can search your registry and delete out all the keys that have to do with that process. Then you can search your hard drive for all the files associated with that process, and delete them. I have done this on many customers comptuers, and it works, but it takes time. If you have a good back up, just reinstall windows. If you dont have a backup, look at getting an external hard drive and norton ghost (I think they call it save and restore now?......)

Norton and McAfee suck ass. Viruses go after them first and shuts them down and then do whatever they want to do.

SPYBOT is excellent! Just make sure you get the right one since there are a few copy cats. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

For an anti virus I would recommend AVG. Its free and an excellent program.
http://free.grisoft.com/

To get your computer running do this exactly as I have on here. Start - Run- Type - msconfig - Click on the Startup tab - Click DISABLE ALL - go to Services tab check the box that says "hide all Microsoft Services" - Then DISABLE ALL again. Restart your computer and you should be good to go from there.

Viruses and spyware are no threat to a MAC or Linux. They are based off the UNIX unlike Microsoft's **** based off DOS.

Spybot is good!!! And Norton is just fine, and better than fine for the not so savy user. Before you do anything try rebooting into safe mode and see if it does the same thing. Sounds like your file system has been infected. While in safe mode, start removing unwanted programs from the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. After you remove all old, unused, and unwanted programs reboot and see if it still does it. If it does then you will want to run a powerful Virus removal program. Usually Norton is fine, and easy to use. It will find the Virus and ask you what you want to do, most likely Quarantine will be the best solution to make sure something vital doesnt get deleted. In time it will either be isolated to that block on your hard drive, or deleted if its not to bad. Sounds like a very common Trojan Horse Virus man. Good luck and hit me up if you need any other help. Remember start small (virus removal tools, utilities, and old or unusual programs remover). Then, after all else fails reformat your drive. Good Luck man.

^ thanks for the help man, and everyone else.......i just downloaded the spybot and ran the system check and it came up with alot of stuff so i deleted them, but its still not working, i guess i will try the safe mode again....i tried it and when it started in safe mode the screen was just black

The screen came up black in safe mode? Check your Video drivers, and sound drivers next. Make sure you have good, current drivers. Wow, never seen the screen come up black in Safe-mode. You might have a nasty virus for sure. Good luck with that man.

tart - Run- Type - msconfig - Click on the Startup tab - Click DISABLE ALL - go to Services tab check the box that says "hide all Microsoft Services" - Then DISABLE ALL again. Restart your computer and you should be good to go from there.

The thing that is effing your computer up is running in the background. It is hidden so you will turn it off this way. If it doesn't work then get a new computer and stop looking at gay **** or whatever you are doing over there... jk but seriously do it.