Any dealership techs on here?

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
New York
Just wondering how you guys like your jobs? What is your daily routine like? Are you happy with your career choice? Whats the pay like for a beginner? I'm looking for a career change and i'm considering going to this new school that opened near by to get training to become a dealership tech. Are you guys all part of the United Auto Workers Union? I'm in the electricians union now and I want to stay union with my next job (if I make a career change)

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

My old man worked at Ford for 22 or 23 years. I can't remember. Anyway, the last 12 or 13 were spent as the shop foreman (basically the guy who works on all the complicated stuff, new stuff, or stuff that just seems to not be able to be fixed). He HATED it.

He had to buy all of his own tools, there was no union (which he liked), and he was hourly but all the other "regular" mechanics were flat rate. He said he's got an easy $150,000 in just tools. Not to mention the 10,000 dollar box.

He's now partnered with a friend of his at an independent shop. He still buys his own tools, gets paid hourly/weekly/salary, and it isn't union, and he loves it. He says it's "something about dealerships".

Joe

there are very few dealer around here that have union techs, but i understand up north it is a little more prevelant. as far as doing it for a living, you would be better off staying an elctrician. i've been at it for about 4 years now and can say that the way we get paid is really wacky and needs to be overhauled.

there is no way i would ever wrench in an independent shop. resources are just too limited.

Yes, unions are big here and i'm a big union supporter (I won't work non union) I did some thinking and I don't think this is for me. I really have no interest in investing that much money in tools and I really don't want to go to school either. I still want a career change though. I'm hoping I can get this town job I applied for last week (yes, its a union job :D) If I can get in there i'll quit the electrical union in a heart beat.

I guess i'm better off keeping working on cars as my hobby than a career.

Grn92LX said:
I guess i'm better off keeping working on cars as my hobby than a career.

i seriously wish i would have.

yes i am much more effective at the work i do on my car, but it is also very rare for me to actually WANT to work on it.

i am to the point that i am prolly gonna sell them both and buy a brand new car and sell it when it runs out of warranty.

yellow1995Cobra said:
Quit the electricians union? Damn... Union electricians in boston get paid WELL.... Are you licensed?

My division gets a lower rate. The construction electricians division is the top pay division in my local. They're @ $41/hr or so top pay. The problem is working steady especially once you hit the higher paid levels. Shops don't wanna hire too many journeymen (top level) when the $20/hr apprentices can do the same work cheaper. I'm a 4th year apprentice. Im just sick of the work, sick of not working steady and I want a change. MY grandfather retired from IBEW local 3 (New York City electricians union) and he has it made. My jurisdiction is Long Island but we do a LOT of work in the city, shhhhhh ;)

bimmertech said:
there is no way i would ever wrench in an independent shop. resources are just too limited.
Not if you have a reputation.

How's $30x,xxx sound for a 6-month revenue between two mechanics, one body man, a secretary and a P/T oil-change guy (me!)?

I think it "ain't bad". :D

Joe

Grn92LX said:
Yeah you work on cars all fu ckin week the last thing you wanna do on your days off is work on yours. Im sure you do alright at your dealership.

Yeah, I feel that, without a doubt.....lol.

But I work on RV's, which is a different trade. I don't work on the chassis side, just interior stuff. So i'm not swaping water pumps...Just cabinet, countertop, electrical, etc stuff.

When I go flat rate, even if I suck, I will make 45k a year. But I am sure I will make 60k. I love that I get to do a lot of varied stuff.

But I hate working on the car after 5 days of that kind of work. ugh.
Scott

bimmertech said:
yeah, we are the big. we were the number three BMW dealer in the country last year, not on volume but on a combined score of cust satisfaction etc...

every tech at the one i work at do alright.

hehe feels good to work at a dealership that is nationally known? Maybe this year u guys can catch up to Erhard :nice:

lol j/k. But one thing i do know is talkin to all the techs that have said they used to love cars as a hobby once i started driving my car to work, but now that they work there doing that, they dont have the "love" to do it anymore. Its not a hobby...its their job.

Joes95GT said:
Not if you have a reputation.

How's $30x,xxx sound for a 6-month revenue between two mechanics, one body man, a secretary and a P/T oil-change guy (me!)?

I think it "ain't bad". :D

Joe

I definately think if u go independent, customer satisfaction will pay off.

Mind me asking how much of a "start up" cost your dad encountered Joe?

Come on Ben. We both know that we were #3 because of the Customer Satisfaction I gave. Baron would be no where near where it is today with out me. Haha. Lets just hope "Dickhead" doesn't get in the way of our csi numbers and chop us down.

PS. It looks like I'm gonna be coming back temporarily to get some money back in my pocket. I just don't want to get into a serious job then have to leave for more school in a few months. But we'll see what Todd wants to set me up with. I grad in 2.5 weeks.

Jeremy

Mike thats a big problem with the unions up north. if your not a company man it sucks waiting for work in the hall. i'm a union painter in NJ, but my old man owns' a small painting busniess. the last couples of years the union work was great, but in 05 it sucked.
but i say stick with it and get your elec. lisence and go on your own. what do you have another year left?
if the town job comes through that good too , but you have to start from the bottom. the guys around here don't do **** and get paid good.

good luck

"Riddle Me This!"

I went into a Ford dealership to have my auto tranny fluid changed and an oil change.
On the workorder I got after I paid the bill, the Tech "claimed" to have "Checked and filled all fluid levels".
What fluid exactly did he check? :shrug: I was out of windshield wiper fluid when I went in, and they did not fill it back up. I was not looking to have them fill it up, but on the other hand, if they did not fill it up for me, they could have at least told me that it was empty. Hence, HE DID NOT CHECK IT! Yet another example of Ford telling me they did something when they did not, but THIS time I caught them!

nmcgrawj said:
I definately think if u go independent, customer satisfaction will pay off.

Mind me asking how much of a "start up" cost your dad encountered Joe?
In Pennsylvania, they dyno test cars for emissions. That machine alone was more than a half-mil. 4 lifts, 4 HUGE air compressors, tire mounting/balancing machine, BS here and there. He and his friend wanted a building that they could BUY, not just rent, so a huge payment was made upfront. I don't know exact numbers but I'm pretty sure that it's north of a million bucks.

It's a lot, no doubt, but ends are meeting and profits are being stashed. I guess that makes it worthwhile.

Joe

StangVert00 said:
"Riddle Me This!"

I went into a Ford dealership to have my auto tranny fluid changed and an oil change.
On the workorder I got after I paid the bill, the Tech "claimed" to have "Checked and filled all fluid levels".
What fluid exactly did he check? :shrug: I was out of windshield wiper fluid when I went in, and they did not fill it back up. I was not looking to have them fill it up, but on the other hand, if they did not fill it up for me, they could have at least told me that it was empty. Hence, HE DID NOT CHECK IT! Yet another example of Ford telling me they did something when they did not, but THIS time I caught them!
He checked the "vital" fluids that allow the car to operate properly. They don't check things that you use on a consistant basis. That's like expecting them to pull a wheel and check your brakes to make sure you still have the allowed 3/32" every time you get your oil changed.

Those guys are getting paid flat rate, they aren't going to do anymore than they have to. You need to go to an independent shop if you're expecting them to check all the odds-and-ends.

Joe

personally i like working flat rate .more money making potential if your in a busy shop likle i am.. Its hard work but i like it. it has its challenges from time to time.

As stated above. As long as the work is there. Flat rate is much better than hourly pay. You can make a killing on flat rate if you are consistant with good work and skilled enough to get it done before standard time.

Jeremy

Grn92LX said:
My division gets a lower rate. The construction electricians division is the top pay division in my local. They're @ $41/hr or so top pay. The problem is working steady especially once you hit the higher paid levels. Shops don't wanna hire too many journeymen (top level) when the $20/hr apprentices can do the same work cheaper. I'm a 4th year apprentice. Im just sick of the work, sick of not working steady and I want a change. MY grandfather retired from IBEW local 3 (New York City electricians union) and he has it made. My jurisdiction is Long Island but we do a LOT of work in the city, shhhhhh ;)

Ahh i getcha.. But damn your so close to getting your license. Id stay until you have it atleast.. Just incase something changes in the future. Plus like someone else said you could go out on your own.

I had considered joining the electrical union, but like you said working steadily is a big issue. Plus my dad already has his own small electircal business, so its easy for me to work for him and help the company grow. Im 2 years from being licensed, cant wait!