Any rubbing issues with 17"x9" & 45 series tires on Mustang?

evintho

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Santa Rosa, CA.
Believe it or not, I searched and couldn't find the answer I need. I may be purchasing a set of 17" x 9" cobra R's. Front tire size is 235/45/17 and rear size is 245/45/17. They'll be going on my '89 Mustang LX 'vert. I have the standard 5.0 swaybar in front. My question is, am I gonna have any rubbing issues, either front or back?? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

not sure about the 245's in the rear. i have 275's out back and i had to roll the feder lip quite a bit. as for up front, i've got 245's up front and i just hade to cut off a very small peice of plastic of the fender or inner feder well ( not sure, but you'll see where they might rub when you get them on.). nothing major though, with a half an hours time im totally rub free.

I have 255/40-17's all the way around on my 90LX with no rubbing problems at all. I have 17x9's on the back and 17x8's on the front. Most poeple I have run into with 9's on the front, even with smaller tires, seem to have some rubbing. You should be totally safe on the rear.

evintho said:
Wannabe, what year is your 'Stang? No rubbing on the front struts??

Its' a 89'. i have 17x8's on the front with 245/45's. with just a little bit of the fender cut off and a couple swings with a hammer i am 100% rub free. lock to lock the tires come about 1-2 centimeters from the shocks. we'll see what happens when i install my eibach pro's though. ANYONE running a similiar wheel/tire combo have trouble AFTER they lowered their car???

Wannabe2.3T said:
Its' a 89'. i have 17x8's on the front with 245/45's. with just a little bit of the fender cut off and a couple swings with a hammer i am 100% rub free. lock to lock the tires come about 1-2 centimeters from the shocks. we'll see what happens when i install my eibach pro's though. ANYONE running a similiar wheel/tire combo have trouble AFTER they lowered their car???
I have the Eibach pro-kit springs on my 90 with 255's on 17x8's in front and didnt have to do a damn thing for them to fit. Never had it rub anything.

You should be good on the back.

As far as the front goes, it seems as though a lot of people have a lot of different results. Some people are saying that they have 245's with no rubbing and some others (me) have 225's on turbine wheels and I get a slight bit of rubbing when shes cranked hard. So personally, I'll say that you will need to do something in the front to have it so they wont rub.