Any tips for cleaning under the hood

Cantslowdown

Jun 20, 2004
Mt.Home AR!
Ok guys my stang is kinda nasty under the hood and i want to clean it up..I know it needs powerwashed off but I dont really want to miss up the coil packs..I thought about covering them up with bags and just try to stay off them the best i can and blow all the water off that part of the motor..But I just want to be safe and not hurt anything..

• Sponsors (?)

I just spray it all over with simple green and let it sit for like 10 minutes. Then I run some low pressure water to where its almost mist to rinse it off. I always get water down in the spark plug wells no matter how hard I try not to. I just pull the wires off and take an air compressor and blow it out. If youre that worried about the coil packs its only 4 bolts that hold them in. Then I armor all the hoses and top of my battery. Comes out pretty good.

Yea Simple Green should work great. We've found CD2 cleaner & detailer online and that stuff is awesome. We haven't really covered much up, i just try not to spray the alternator directly too much. If you drive in the rain, your engine gets wet :shrug:

i then turn my car on for 10-15 minutes to let it dry.

Don't clean your engine or detail it while it's hot! cool water + hot engine = something broken/cracked. most detailers can be flammable so dont' want to spray that in a hot engine anyway.....

Search too though.....there's been a lot of threads on cleaning engines.

Simple Green FTW...Just did mine yesterday. I also take a bristle brush and go over the really dirty areas. After that I gently spray everthing off...a bread bag over the coils works fine...and try to keep water out of the plug wells. I haven't found a trick to preventing that yet.

My engine bay wasn't touched for a good 75k miles - it was downright disgusting. Now people compliment me all the time on how new it looks underneath.

First time I cleaned it all I did was wrap the fuse box and relays, airfilter, alternator, and coil packs in plastic bags. I ran water over everything (just low pressure hose water) and then sprayed it down with Orange Clean (Simple Green is what I wanted to use, but I just ran out). I let it sit in the shade for about 20 minutes. Then I took the hose again with low pressure, and just rinsed everything off. I sloshed away most of the water with a towel and then let the motor sit in the sun for the rest to dry up quickly.

The next step is what is different from most. I've never heard of anyone else using my technique before. I bought this Meguire's Exterior detail spray stuff. It's in a bigass aerosol can and it sprays almost like a fog/mist. I unloaded the can on the dry bay and then just smoothed everything out with one microfiber towel.

My engine bay will stay spotless for weeks, then all it takes is a dusting. I reapply the detail spray about every 3-4 months. I havn't recleaned the bay in over a year and it still looks superb.

CobraM23 said:
I just spray it all over with simple green and let it sit for like 10 minutes. Then I run some low pressure water to where its almost mist to rinse it off. I always get water down in the spark plug wells no matter how hard I try not to. I just pull the wires off and take an air compressor and blow it out. If youre that worried about the coil packs its only 4 bolts that hold them in. Then I armor all the hoses and top of my battery. Comes out pretty good.

Don't use Armol All at all. It has silicone in it, which, over time, will dry out rubber and crack it all to hell.

Citrus based de-greaser works good.

Steam would be a quick and easy way, see if you cna find somone around your area to do that.

You can also get these little steamers off ebay for like $20, but the one I got is worthless.

Thanks

~K

I just did this last week. Sprayed Simple Green liberally on the engine, let it sit. Then sprayed the engine with a low-power spray, like a mist that CobraM23 states. Took the wet/dry vac, put it on blower and blew the water out. Started the engine, let it warm up and evaporate the rest. I keep the water away from the battery, fuse block, MAF sensor and cover the alternator.

i wouldnt do the hose thing...

i listened to what everyone said on these forums and washed my engine with the hose and simple green, and was having nothing but ignition problems for the next few weeks..

:( I've never had a problem with the hose & CD2 cleaner.

Here's my engine with CD2 cleaner & detailer:
(i'll need to work on a closeup)

7829.jpg

DisposableHero said:
i wouldnt do the hose thing...

i listened to what everyone said on these forums and washed my engine with the hose and simple green, and was having nothing but ignition problems for the next few weeks..
It's not foolproof...I've had issues before but after drying things out it was all good. I'd say maybe only 5% of the time I'll have a problem...easily fixed though

Armor All SUCKS use 303 Aerospace Protectant instead.

And make sure you do not get petroleum based degreaser down in your blower intake vent, you will smell it FOREVER :(

Citrus based degreasers smell a lot better, I recommend those.

You will not get water in your plug wells if you pull the COP boots and clean them well and then condition them with 303 Aerospace Protectant. Mine seal so well they make popping noises when I remove them like a cork from a bottle :nice: