Any tweaks to adjust CAI noise?

jag989

Feb 20, 2011
I just finished installing a C&L intake and tune on my '11 GT and couldn't be happier with the power improvement (especially noteworthy at lower RPMs).

I definitely understand increased noise is to be expected from the intake, and I personally enjoy the louder engine as well as the "suction" noise when accelerating more than moderately.

Not so cool is a whistling, higher pitched noise I get at very specific RPMs from second gear on. At 1,500 RPM and again from 1,800 to 2,200 the whistling will reliably come from what sounds to be right next to my left foot if I give the car any gas. It's not very loud but gets pretty tiresome as the RPMs I noted above unfortunately match cruising speeds in 5th and 6th :nonono:

I've checked all the connections to/on the intake and everything is completely secure. My totally uneducated assumption is that the noise is carrying through what I've outlined in the pic below (sorry for the wonderful quality, I'm not sure what it's called):

imag0012s.jpg

Anyone have any ideas before I start hacking at things? Should I just learn to live with it? :D

• Sponsors (?)

That's the noise induction tube (may not be the actual name) they added for the 2010 model. You can unplug it and cap it, or try to put more foam into the tube near the outlet in the footwell and try to drown it out a little. People have suggested taking the foam out for more noise, but I tried and it sounds like crap, so the little amount of foam makes a huge difference.

Haha, I like the term 'Noise Induction Tube', I'll have to go with that :D

I'll see if I can plug it up a bit for any improvement. If the only point of that tube is to bring some engine noise in to the cabin, can it be completely removed?

That's good to know, I'll probably end up taking it out. Should clean up the engine some too.

Unfortunately, neither plugging or temporarily unseating the tube from the firewall made a difference with the whistling. May just be a characteristic of the filter I'll need to get used to. Would replacing the filter with another brand (K&N) require a re-tune or would the change in airflow be trivial enough?

Thanks for the help by the way, much appreciated.

Can you hear the whistling while under the hood? If so, try placing your hand around the filter to see if you can stop the noise while in a certain position. It may just be an oddity.....you could also try repositioning the filter by spinning it to see if that makes a difference.

I would complain to the company you got it from if you cannot locate the source.

I'm fairly certain it's the filter now that the sound tube has been eliminated. I'll have a friend give it some gas while I mess around with the filter to see if we can change anything - it's definitely audible under the hood.

I've got a buddy with a 2010 using a Steeda CAI. Completely different setup obviously, but he hasn't had any complaints. If I can swallow paying for the same parts twice, I might try that failing the above.

I'm fairly certain it's the filter now that the sound tube has been eliminated. I'll have a friend give it some gas while I mess around with the filter to see if we can change anything - it's definitely audible under the hood.

I've got a buddy with a 2010 using a Steeda CAI. Completely different setup obviously, but he hasn't had any complaints. If I can swallow paying for the same parts twice, I might try that failing the above.

I love my Steeda CAI, it came with a cap for the "SOUND TUBE"..that's exactly what it's called. I dont use it though!:nice:
RC

"Sound Tube" Ok, but my made up name sounds cooler!:) Good job Ford, a missed opportunity. To the OP, check to make sure everything is tight, seated and sealed properly. Complain otherwise, and get a replacement. Don't pay twice for the same part. Don't think the V6s have them. You probably don't want to hear more V6 induction noise!

Just to follow up on this, I ended up installing Steeda's CAI.

The noise issue is gone, however overkill the fix may have been :D

Looking forward to trying out Steeda's tune tonight/tomorrow

Just to follow up on this, I ended up installing Steeda's CAI.

The noise issue is gone, however overkill the fix may have been :D

Looking forward to trying out Steeda's tune tonight/tomorrow

Let us know...where did you get the tune? If u need help, give Gus a call at Steeda and tell him Robert sent you.

Good Luck
RC

Let us know...where did you get the tune? If u need help, give Gus a call at Steeda and tell him Robert sent you.

Good Luck
RC

I actually got the tune through Gus earlier today, so good advice :)

I had ordered the CAI directly from Steeda a couple of days prior to that. The difference in power under 5k is phenomenal compared to the tune I had gotten elsewhere, definitely glad I contacted them.

i have the same problem only with a 302 intake installed and i have the 2011 gt/cs version same whistle tried adjusting everything cant find where the whistle is coming from but im certin its the cai. kind of funny same application same noise may try ebaying my cai and getting steda if all els fails