Anybody Un-polish an intake?

ttopstang

Sep 6, 2007
Birmingham, AL
I've got a polished alum intake that I want to paint but was wondering if anybody knows how to un-polish it? I have access to a sand blaster, but what media would be best to use? Is there any chemicals that take the polish out of it?

And I'm NOT sanding this thing down, I'm tired of sanding stuff, if that's the only option, I'll leave it polished.

• Sponsors (?)

There's no polish "in" it to be taken out, you'd have to either rough up the surface, sand it, or cover it with paint or something else. Sand or any rough media will scuff it up and give it a raw, blasted look. Not sure what you want out of it except for it to no longer be shiny, but blasting it will do at least that.

I don't know too much about paint prep but the sand will probably be too aggressive. Soda is usually for that but I'm not sure if it's aggressive enough to rough up the polished surface for starters. Never used walnuts so I can't say about that.

If you're just scuffing it for paint, get a green Scotchbrite pad and use that. Otherwise glass bead blasting will give the surface an extremely fine texture that i've found will hold paint very well. I've done a lot of valve covers this way, i used to have a hookup for glass bead blasting.

What Rick said.
Before Blasting
IMAG0804.jpg

After
IMAG0806.jpg

After paint
IMAG0807.jpg

Blast and powder coat will look the best.