Anyone else have this problem while changing a clutch?

DaveB

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Middlesex and Pomona, NJ
About to pull out and drop the transmission in my 94 GT. Everything has gone smoothly until now. Undid all of the bellhousing bolts as well as the bolts on the bottom of the transmission mount. All thats left is are the two on the side of the transmission crossmember. Now heres the problem, the bolts or whatever they are, are nothing like I've ever seen before. They aren't studs like the writeup that I have states. They look to be a bolt with some kind of weird clip at the end, hard to describe, but here are what they look like.

Picture132.jpg

Picture131.jpg

Picture130.jpg

Picture133.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The "nut" is that way so you dont have to put a socket on it. Dont worry about that side. Just unbolt it from the bolt head just as you would any other bolt. Looks like your stripping that bolt head....Are you supporting the tranny in any way? I would get as much weight as you can off that crossmember before you try loosening the crossmember bolts.

I didn't really see aquestion in your post, but I hope I answered it.:D

Good advice above. Those are tantamount to having a nut and then putting a box end wrench on the nut and spinning it till it hits the underside.

It's also nice because unlike a tack welded nut, you have some maneuverability when reinstalling the bolt.

Good luck.

Thanks guys. Actually it was supported, you can't see it but we had a jack underneath it. But now we can't get the trans to drop. It seems that its hitting my BBK LT header (passenger side). We've wiggled that thing around like crazy every single way and just cannot for the life of us get it to drop down. So now it looks like I need to take off the passenger side header. Anyone else ever have this problem?

When you say you undid the bellhousing bolts, you mean the 4 bolts between the trans and the bellhousing or the bellhousing to engine. do the 4 trans to bellhousing bolts nad drop just the trans... it makes life a LOT easier...

and BTW, always use a 6-point socket on this stuff when you can... I usually use a 12pt to determine the size then go to a 6 point if I have one (my 12 pt collection is larger).