Anyone ever had their intake and TB powder coated?

JH96GT

Founding Member
Aug 20, 2000
Twilight Zone, TN.
I've got the Edelbrock Performer and was wondering how it might turn out. I'm assuming they would have to sand blast off the original coating and re-apply. I'm really curious about the TB though.

Can it (TB) be coated too, or should I sand it down and paint it? I want both to be gloss black.

Thanks. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

take the tps and whatever meltable crap might be on it- off, and coat it. I wouldnt coat the inside of it though incase it decides to flake off plus fitment issues with the blade.

:nono: think about what you just said...uhhh dont touch the inside of it...why would youe ven convisder coating the inside...thats my lol of the day...

why not? just take the whole thing apart and block off all of the holes. I personally wouldnt coat the inside though just in case the finish decides to flake off, then get sucked into the motor.

any further questions ask ryan. he knows everything.

i dont think the powdercoat would flake off on the inside, powdercoat really sticks good. i wouldnt coat the inside though, just to make it easier and cleaner.

take the whole TB apart. take the linkage deal, the blade and rod and everything out, get a junk TPS and screw it down, to keep the coating out of that hole to make it easier, if the TPS melts just take it off. it wont stick to the TB or anything it should fall off.

have them coat it, if it gets inside, get a flap wheel on a diegrinder and clean up the inside. then reassemble the TB.

but IMO with a powercoated intake, you wont really need to the do the TB, you wont really notice it with a huge intake that looks good.

why not? just take the whole thing apart and block off all of the holes. I personally wouldnt coat the inside though just in case the finish decides to flake off, then get sucked into the motor.

any further questions ask ryan. he knows everything.

no i dont know everything..i just think it is 100% useless to powder coat the inside of a TB...like you said...you take the risk of it flaking but....why would you even consider powder coating the inside of any part for a motor...

i dont think the powdercoat would flake off on the inside, powdercoat really sticks good. i wouldnt coat the inside though, just to make it easier and cleaner.

take the whole TB apart. take the linkage deal, the blade and rod and everything out, get a junk TPS and screw it down, to keep the coating out of that hole to make it easier, if the TPS melts just take it off. it wont stick to the TB or anything it should fall off.

have them coat it, if it gets inside, get a flap wheel on a diegrinder and clean up the inside. then reassemble the TB.

but IMO with a powercoated intake, you wont really need to the do the TB, you wont really notice it with a huge intake that looks good.

Thanks. :flag:

Ryan has a good point about powdercoating the inside of the intake

In general do not do it because it's very hard to clean the remaining beads out of there. A friend of mine powdercoated his upper Cobra intake when he rebuilt his motor. There was a small clump that was not cleaned out that proceeded to get sucked into the engine.

As a result, the engine ran nicely...for 30 seconds...and then needed to be rebuilt again.

Just do the exterior, and block off any interior passageways.

Ryan has a good point about powdercoating the inside of the intake

In general do not do it because it's very hard to clean the remaining beads out of there. A friend of mine powdercoated his upper Cobra intake when he rebuilt his motor. There was a small clump that was not cleaned out that proceeded to get sucked into the engine.

As a result, the engine ran nicely...for 30 seconds...and then needed to be rebuilt again.

Just do the exterior, and block off any interior passageways.

this is why I said not to do the inside.........