Anyone ever ship a transmission?

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
New York
I will be shipping my Lentech AOD this week once I recive the payment. Trying to figure out the most economical way to do this? I called UPS and what I will probably end up doing is throwing it on a pallet and wrapping it up and having UPS pick it up at my house.

Idea's?

• Sponsors (?)

i shipped an AOD out already, i crated it myself. Stapled a cardboard box around the crate haha. I brought it to a local frieght shipping place (UPS is expensive) and payed $139 to ship it out. I think AOD's are around 190lbs.

i shipped an AOD out already, i crated it myself. Stapled a cardboard box around the crate haha. I brought it to a local frieght shipping place (UPS is expensive) and payed $139 to ship it out. I think AOD's are around 190lbs.

I wish I had pictures of the ones I made. I took a small pallet put the trans on it then build a frame and X braces using 1x2. Then where the bell housing was at I took 2x2 and made so I could bolt the bell housing to it. Now that I had a frame around it I took 3x8 plywood and made a shell. I used tie wire to tie the tail shaft to the pallet. You could probably make something to you can bolt the trans mount too. I've shipped a couple of C6 like this and powerglides. I hope this makes some since. LOL. I wish I had pictures.

Grn92LX said:
What did you crate it in?

I have a pallet that I "took" that I was going to use.

I'm gonna call ups freight tmrw and see if I can get the info I need.
Yea i used a wooden pallet and hammered 2x4s around it like a shell. I also hammered little pieces on the bottom around the tranny to keep it from sliding. Hope that helps