Anyone experience this while launching?

wrathchild

Founding Member
Apr 5, 2000
Altoona, Pa
So went to the track tonight and everything is going fine. Ran 12.16 as a best.
Then my low fuel light comes on and i cant get the car to launch at all. Went from running 12.1 and 12.2 to running 12.7's.

The car would fall on its face when launching. No wheel spin at all. Just felt like the traction control was on but, it was completely shut off.

Any ideas?

Here is a video of one of the runs with the car bogging. Look right after the lauch the nose dives badly.

http://youtu.be/VORmDlbuxI8

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you're actually low on fuel. The hard G's during launch are pooling the remaining gas away from the pump causing the car to fall on its face.

There is a TSB about another problem with fuel level and the warning light and running out of fuel with 4-6 gallons still in the tank. Something about dual pumps and a humped or partitioned gas tank and one side running low.

May be a completely separate issue...

I thought that the car maybe has some sort of fail safe in the tank when the fuel pools away from the pump so you dont run the motor lean. It was just an idea though.

I did fill up after the leaving the track and it took 14 gallons so it was low on fuel.

I thought that the car maybe has some sort of fail safe in the tank when the fuel pools away from the pump so you dont run the motor lean. It was just an idea though.

I did fill up after the leaving the track and it took 14 gallons so it was low on fuel.

That was most likely your problem then. If it happens again with 1/2 tank, you might have an issue. But you're pulling VERY low 12 second times so the launch has to be pretty good and I know fuel tank has an odd shape to it probably contributing to your issue. Even with it falling down, you're still throwing up some awesome times.

That was most likely your problem then. If it happens again with 1/2 tank, you might have an issue. But you're pulling VERY low 12 second times so the launch has to be pretty good and I know fuel tank has an odd shape to it probably contributing to your issue. Even with it falling down, you're still throwing up some awesome times.

You're avoiding the one guys question because i was curious of it also, do you have any mods on the stang :shrug: and if so what you running

same thing happens in my stock 2007. If I launch hard with a quarter tank or less, she won't get the gas. I won't go to the track with less than a half tank.