Anyone Know Anything About ATV Carbs?

92GreenGT

PEAT
Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Big Stone Gap, VA
Random thread fo sho but I really only post in this section so I decided to go for it. Anyways, I've got a 2001(I think, bought it new but never really rode it) Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4 ATV that I've had sitting for quite sometime and need some help with. It sat with gas still in the tank in storage for a year or more without being as much as started(whoops) and now I get to pay for it. I got it out today and drained the gas out of the tank and pulled the carb off. Figuring the jets and everything would be gummed up pretty bad but to my surprise they wasn't. Everything was super clean inside and I went ahead and cleaned the bowl/jets with cleaner and made sure everything was clean/clear of any debris before putting it back together. Went ahead and installed a new spark plug and filled it up with a new tank of gas.

It needs a new battery from where it's been sitting but I used the battery charger and started it up this evening. My issue is that it seems really rich throughout the entire rev range. Everything on the atv is factory stock and never been messed with so I know the idle mixture screw/jets haven't been messed with to cause any issues such as this. The air filter is nice and everything else checks out. The Idle Speed screw has been turned and messed with so I need a "Diagnostic Tachometer" to hook up to it so I can correctly set the idle rpm, but that's pretty minor compared to my current issue. One thing I did notice is that the choke seems to have no effect on it. If it's sitting and idling and you pulled the choke out to "fully on"(...I guess that's how you say it...I know nothing about carbs, lol) shouldn't it cause it to go rich or something? It has zero effect, almost like it's stuck on at all times and that's what's causing my issues. Anyone have any opinions on the ordeal? At least could someone point me to a good forum to ask on? I can provide pics/vids to help with the issue. Thanks in advance!!!

-Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Definitely sounds like the choke could be stuck. When you start it up cold with the choke on it should have a high idle, then turn the choke off immediately and it should drop really low and stall. If not it's probably stuck. Pull the choke cable off the carb and see if it's operating smoothly or if it's stuck in the carb itself.

mixture screws always need to be adjusted when you bring the vehicle home. they are set in a factory or warehouse where atmospheric conditions are probably quite different from your location.

When I cleaned mine out years ago I never got anything right on them. So after sitting for a couple years I sold all three. The money went towards the notch. I do know that you do have to play with the set screws for awhile. To bad you have a utility one. I had the sport one, when I adjust them it would lift the wheels off the ground no problem. Also after that it only topped out at 40 mph. I understand that you want to fix it yourself, but taking to someone to have the factory setup redone wouldn't be should a bad idea. I know from personal experiance.

Definitely sounds like the choke could be stuck. When you start it up cold with the choke on it should have a high idle, then turn the choke off immediately and it should drop really low and stall. If not it's probably stuck. Pull the choke cable off the carb and see if it's operating smoothly or if it's stuck in the carb itself.

When I removed the carb, I worked the choke cable and it pulled in and out like it should with no issues. The way it attaches to the carb was somewhat weird because it just goes behind a "tab" and then the choke thing pushes into the carb. It can go way down in the carb and I'm not sure if there is a place to adjust it or whatever.

Can I disable the choke somehow to see if that helps with the condition? I wish I still had my LM-1, I'd stick it on there and see how rich it actually is. My AEM is mounted in the car for good now though:(