Anyone Painted there Trim around there Windows?

00-Saleen

Sep 2, 2004
Snohomish,WA
My 90 Gt has Some Narly Faded trim around all my windows. My mirrors are also faded as well, and it all together really takes away from the look of the car. Has anyone painted this stuff? I want it to Be a Dark Gloss Black to match my 20% tint. any procedures, or methods would be great

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I haven't painted the outside trim, but the place to go for the correct paint is going to be in Everett. I can't remember the name of the store, but it is off of 41st St Exit on I5. I think it is on Evergreen way on the east side of the road. Wish I could remember the name. If you want I can provide excellent directions.

They were able to almost perfectly match to the gray in my 90 GT. No small feat considering there were 3 or 4 gray interiors from the factory. They can also put any color you wish into a spray can for you. I think all they do is paint and body supplies.

Good Luck
jason

I just painted the trim around the windshield and hatch glass.. just taped it off and sprayed some black Krylon on, 3 or so coats, then 2 or 3 of clearcoat, ripped tape off, razor blade windows to get rid of overspray.. be done.

You have to sand them... and sand them... and sand them some more... Then you can use a semi-gloss enamel from Home Depot. Seriously, it takes a lot of sanding to get them smooth so thay don't look pitted when you paint them.

Easier solution:

Get some tire silicone and pump pump pump until the rubber soaks it up.

It will still look "pitted" but you wont notice because it will be the boldest most intense dark black and very very shiny. This works wonders on the side mirrors as well.

On my crazier days, I used to use used (whoa, what a sentence!) motor oil since it is very black but lasts much longer than silicone if you rub it gently into the trim rubber. Makes the car smell like oil too.

Not sure if it is cool to use but a friend of mine used tranny fluid on his mirrors and trim. He also used it on his faded paint. It looked ok honestly but I fear the smell. I used a product from mothers called "back to black" on the trim of my expedition and it came out pretty good as well. But I think painting is the best long term solution.

Yea i Plan on painting the trim. So the Rubber trim around the Back two Windows on the Driver and Passenger side, need to be sanded down right? And what brand and kind of paint is gonne give me that DARK Black shiny brand new look for the Mirros and trim?

Thanks guys

iwashmycar said:
I just got 'Trim Paint' from good ol Wal-Mart. It is made by Duplicolor and matched very very well. Of course I only have painted the bottom piece under the side windows, and it is still holding up

I tried that paint on my cowl vent and wiper arms, as well and it's pretty decent stuff for $4 a can. With a satin paint, there's a lot less prep work required to get a nice end result than with a gloss. Obviously pitted quarter window mouldings will require a lot of sanding no matter what kind of paint you go with.

I bought another can and will probably do my side window trim this weekend... can anyone tell me which trim pieces are easily removable, and how to do it without breaking them?

Just a thought on the quarter window moldings.
There is an epoxy filler that I found in a parts store that is made for rubber bumpers. Seems like this would make the prep process much quicker, since you would be able to fill in the low spots.

I tried some on the poyurethane front bumper to fill in the recess for the "Ford" emblem. It worked surprisingly well, and was easily sanded.

I think it was either a Bondo or Loctite product.

If anyone tries it please come back and let the others know how it works.

jason

The 1/4 windows are a whole different issue than painting the rest of the trim. I have painted my mirrors, cowl, and the lower two trim pieces of the windshield. The roof rail mouldings and belt line mouldings I went for full replacement. It was costly, but well worth it for reviving a 12 yr old pony.

Does anybody know of someplace where I can buy new trim instead of painting them? I've looked on plenty of websites and the closest I can get is 50resto.com and they only have the lower trim piece. I still need to find the side and upper trim. I plan to do the windshield and back window

Just a couple items here.

I just painted the bright aluminum window moldings on my 82 black.

I used Krylon gloss black, because its cheap, and it will look like new flat black longer than starting with flat black, from past experience.

The one new thing I tried was some stuff called Adhesion Promoter, a clear spray primer, that I found in Advance Auto. Two coats, let it dry 3 minutes and paint. Seemed to make painting the metal and plastic, like the cowl vent and sail panels go easier.

Might be worth a try.

The last owner painted all the moldings on my 89 dark blue body color, which I wish he had not, since it is peeling.....so I am going to have to address that soon.

im looking into doing the same thing to my car...the trim looks hideous. I have a couple questions though...did anyone paint the top trim on the door and the trim around the hatch glass? i figure the 1/4 windows, lower door window trim, and mirrors will be easy enough to just sand, prime, and paint....but what would be the best way to to the hatch and upper window sections?