Anyway to change gears with a 3 speed manual tranny?

• Sponsors (?)

if you arent getting on it, a c4 will go into 3rd by about 30mph. All you gotta do is change the rear gears. Jack the rear up and turn the driveshaft with your hands and see how many turns it takes to get the tire to turn one revolution. If this is 3 or lower you should be set. If its higher like 3.5 or so, you can change the rear gears.

Using numerically low rear axle ratios (2.79, 3.00) cause the tranny to feel longer between gear shifts. Conversely using a high rear axle ratio (3.55, 3.79, 4.11) causes the shifts to feel progressively shorter. Changing the ratio also affects the cars acceleration. Numerically low rear axles have poor acceleration compared to those with high numbers. Numerically low rear axles have relatively higher top speeds than those with high numbers. Its all a matter of what you want most. Installing a five-speed allows you to get the best of both.

I just looked at your car's page (my eyes hurt! why do you have red writing on that blue back ground with white stripes? ouch my eyes).

It looks like you have about 26" tall tires. Is that correct? What size are the tires? What rpm are you turning at 60 mph?

At 35 mph with 26" tires he'd be turning just 1800-1900 rpm. Certainly not high enough to require a 3rd gear shift. 2nd at the same speed is only about 3250 rpm. Hell, 1st is only 5558, or about when he would shift to 2nd if he was really wringing it out.

He could go into 3rd, but wouldn't NEED to at 35 mph.

EDIT: this is assuming 4.11 gears

yeah unfortunatley I dont have a tach so I dont know how many RPMs i'm turning. But right now the 7 inch is in there, but I have an 8 inch ready to go in after I get it painted...i dont really wanna lose my acceleration, so if i have to deal with it its fine. I was just wondering if i could change it thats all

brtnstrns said:
yeah unfortunatley I dont have a tach so I dont know how many RPMs i'm turning. But right now the 7 inch is in there, but I have an 8 inch ready to go in after I get it painted...i dont really wanna lose my acceleration, so if i have to deal with it its fine. I was just wondering if i could change it thats all

which is why you turn the driveshaft and count :D

ratio411 said:
You really should post what gear is in the car now and what gear you put in your 8" that is going in...

Post your gear ratio and your tire size and I'll calculate your rpm's so you have an idea of what revs you are turning at several speeds. :nice: