Engine Distributor Shaft

rotorhead22

Dec 17, 2020
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I'm about to start my carb swap on my 89 LX. So I have gathered, or thought so, all of my components to do a swap however after reviewing a recent YouTube video, the guy mentioned the proper "long shaft" distributor. So is this a reference to the aluminum shaft housing or the portion that extends below the gear? My steel gear distributor for a 85 manual car and it has a short shaft beyond the gear. Reference pictures online give mixed results. Can a short shaft be used?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I’m not sure I understand your question. A carb swap doesnt require a distributor change. Please explain further and post pics if you can, to illustrate what you’re trying to accomplish. Good luck.
That would probably help. Old on right. After getting some light into the distributor hole and measuring, it would appear the the engagement onto the oil pump shaft would be 1/2" instead of a full 1".

Attachments

• IMG_2854.jpeg
    IMG_2854.jpeg
    602.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
If he had an EFI distributor I am pretty sure he needed to swap it for a regular distributor unless you guys know how to make an EFI one work with just an MSD box.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
This is what I recall:

The EFI distributor gets swapped for a carb distributor
The shaft [length] and [diameter] are different for a carbed distributor and EFI distributor

I know this swap has been done a thousand times on this forum (just not by me :p ). Checkout @jrichker's post here:

Scroll down to step [21].

Can you get your hands on an 85 Mustang distributor? It's already setup for a roller block.
That's what I bought however the shaft that extends beyond the gear is about a1/2" shorter that the EFI distributer. It will only engage the oil pump shaft approximately a half inch however I'm beginning to wonder if that's the same on the 85 block also and in that's case I'm good to go.

This is what I recall:

The EFI distributor gets swapped for a carb distributor
The shaft [length] and [diameter] are different for a carbed distributor and EFI distributor

I know this swap has been done a thousand times on this forum (just not by me :p ). Checkout @jrichker's post here:

Scroll down to step [21].
Thanks for the link, I searched for about a half hour and couldn't get a good description

That's what I bought however the shaft that extends beyond the gear is about a1/2" shorter that the EFI distributer. It will only engage the oil pump shaft approximately a half inch however I'm beginning to wonder if that's the same on the 85 block also and in that's case I'm good to go.

I wish I could be more help man. It seems like this is important. Wait for some of the other guys to come on before you commit to anything.

@TOOLOW91
@Mustang5L5
@2000xp8
@FastDriver
@90sickfox

I wish i could help too, but it's been soooooo long since i touched a distributor.
I could make a call later today and ask a friend, carbs swaps were a thing back in the day, but not so much these days.

I'm doing my best not to judge, but is there a reason you are carb swapping an 89? It's a one year run, mass air non airbag car.

• Agree
I have my original distributor from my 83 somewhere in my parts hoard... It is a duraspark, but I would be happy to measure it and take some pics of it tomorrow if you think that would help?? Using the original 83 carbed intake on the newer block in my car.
I have the LMR duraspark distributor in it now. It came with the steel gear for my roller cam.....
Let me know....

I have my original distributor from my 83 somewhere in my parts hoard... It is a duraspark, but I would be happy to measure it and take some pics of it tomorrow if you think that would help?? Using the original 83 carbed intake on the newer block in my car.
I have the LMR duraspark distributor in it now. It came with the steel gear for my roller cam.....
Let me know....

Yours is flat-tappet and not a roller. I am concerned that there might be a difference. I know the gear was different but I don't know about the shaft.

Yours is flat-tappet and not a roller. I am concerned that there might be a difference. I know the gear was different but I don't know about the shaft.
I am not using the original engine. Its a 98 Mountaineer 302...
OK, I see what you mean... If I recall the LMR distributor I am using was no different than the stock one... But I am not going to pull the LMR one out to measure....
Let me see if I still have the EFI distributor that came with the Mountaineer engine... Might have tossed it....I will compare it to the stock 83 one...

Last edited:
Yes. From my understanding the parts store distributors you get for an 85 are all over the place but the body is correct. If you have an EFI distributor you can remove the shaft from it and put it in the parts store 85 unit and have the longer shaft.

Another thing I came across is that the longer shaft in the roller motors was to ease the installation of them on the assembly line. The longer distributor shaft engages the oil pump drive before the distributor gear contacts the cam gear so it makes it easier to install. From that I took it that there is no other benefit.

• Useful