Roush AOD-E Help? Racing...

Mstng2

Founding Member
Jun 27, 2002
- - Zion - -
So I went to the track last night and went out second round last night cause the transmission didnt shift into second gear, which forced the motor into the rev limiter and game over!! SO here's my observations and I need some help to find a solution.

1) The transmission has no problems at all normal driving.
2) When there is no wheelspin the trans shifts from 1st to 2nd right at the revlimiter, sometimes just tapping it, 2nd to 3rd never a problem.
3) When I spin badly off the line, it hits the rev limiter, da da da da da da and then finally shifts to 2nd. Sadly that takes .6 of a second and I am done racing for the night.

ANY AOD-E pro's out there can help? Oh one last thing this issue began when I supercharged the car and put the Saleen Tune on. Prior to that it never reved fast enough to do this. It's like the transmission is to slow to respond to where the car/engine is.

Car = 2000 GT w/ Saleen Series II Supercharger, Saleen Tune, AOD-E Trans.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'm guessing because my car is a 2000 it has the same tranny as yours and I've asked you a few questions regarding this!!!!! I have similar problems with how my car shifts especially now that I just put an Offroad X-Pipe on it!! I wish I had answers here for you!! If you find out let me know too!! What does your car run the 1/4 in?? Also whats your HP and Torque Numbers?? My other question for you now is, When you drag your car do you find it faster to launch when shifting from low to second to drive, with the overdrive already on?? Over drive off, low to 2nd to drive then hit Overdrive on switch or Just leave it in Drive with overdrive on????? What are you doing when dragging??? What does an Automatic tranny Rev too with the Rev limiter??? I know I may have asked you this before but do you have a shift kit in your car??? Different Torque Converter?? I was talking with Art Carr's shop to build me a Torque Converter and they said that I could pick up to 50 to 70 Rear Wheel HP with a Non Stock Torque Converter!!!

Well I still dont have an answer just lots of suggestions. Here's the answers to your questions that I know.

1) My car puts down 340 RWHP
2) 365 Torq. on a Mustang Dyno.
3) When I race I put it in drive and go! I have tried both OD on and OD off I dont see any differance in 1/4 mile ET's.
4) In relation to #3 I also have 3:73 Gears so I hit 3rd about 3/4 track.
5) I am at 4000 ft altitude with air pressures that can be as bad as an 8000 ft equivalent but the car runs a 13.7 @ 101 MPH
6) The Saleen flash for the supercharger sets the rev limiter at 6000 RPM. The car should shift at 5000 RPM under WOT. It doesnt from do this correctly with wheel spin. (1st to 2nd)
7) No Shift kit, I have heard a lot about a "J-mod" I need to look into this.

That's about it I'll keep you posted with my findings. :)

May not be a perfect comparison, but it's close.
My saleen explorer has an AODE, 4r70w.
Should make around 300rwhp to 2 wheels (it's really awd).
The trans was giving me similar trouble under full throttle, seems there wasn't enough pressure to get the trans to shift fast enough into second gear to keep up with the Supercharged power.
I installed a Baumann engineering shift kit, and cured the problem completely.
It used to hiccup going into second, not any more.

Basically the shift kit allows more fluid though the valve body passages, thus more line pressure, harder, faster firmer shifts.

http://www.becontrols.com/

Well worth the $100.
Can be installed by an amatuer that has some mechanical skills and can read directions. Can be done in 3-4 hours, but plan on 8.
Settings are 1-5, i used 3, but would do 5 if i had to do it again.
BUT, remember, this mod is NOT reversible.
There is also torque settings a b or c, based on your power output.