AOD problem????

Draginmadd

May 10, 2004
Ft.Lauderdale
i have a rebuilt AOD trans w/transgo shift kit,2800 stall converter,red clutches.1-2 gear shifts like puss.2-3,3-od is not bad.i think i have the TV cable adjusted right.havent put a press guage on it but i found a good web site that shows the adjustment.Look here the guy that built the trans said just take the slack out of the cable.ive played around with it some and doesnt seem to make a diff.any sugestions would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

My AOD with the transgo shift from 1-2 (while the shifter is in OD) at around 3000 rpm. Shifts firm.. Your's soft? Did you install the kit? Could be an issue with that valve or pressure..

i didnt install the kit myself,the guy that re-built the tranny did it.1-2 is very soft.3-od is firm.the guy that did the tranny said 1-2 should bark the tires with the clutches he installed.like u said could be a valves not workin right.

my aod was rebuilt 2 years ago so about 14,000 miles on it
put a transgo 3 thousand miles ago with new engine and gears (3.73) and 1-2 churps tires real firm 2-3 chirps tires real firm 3-4 chirps tires real firm etc
in od it sucks
after going like 50 in od i can wot it
it doesnt kick down or whatever its supposed to do
no big deal when i need it i drop in d and hit it and it rips
od is good for highway
when in drive at around 55 miles per hour it is real shifty
take foot off gas it will down shift and chirp tires light gas it will shift up firm
i hate going slow in d at 55 mph because of it
any takers on that?

WELL, HERE is the prob.

the 1-2 shift valve "blue" spring was not used. transgo words it wrong in the manual imo, they say "very, very firm" shift or something to that effect........therefore alot of people do not install that spring, this causes the 1-2 AND 2-3 shifts to be less firm...... now the converter will also make it softer on the 1-2, but 2-3 will be unaffected by the loose converter IF the trans retains lockup.

ohh, and chirping the 3-4 shift?

i find it unlikely, and even if it did, it would not do it for long. there is no "od clutch pack" or drum....... there is a band that stops a fast spinning reverse drum to make od.........

Matt is right that is why running around town with the gear selector in OD tends to burn up the OD pretty quickly. The tranny can't decide if it should be in 3d or 4th. The best thing to do is leave the shifter in D untill you hit cruising speeds on the highway then just bump the shifter into OD.

unless....

you get a kevlar band. Then you can ride around in OD all day long! I think the transgo kit with an A+ servo will have enough force to hold the kevlar band down. Plus the kevlar band is like 25 bucks.

hey, maybe you could use some 24grit sand paper on a die grinder, and rough up that reverse drum!

then, the od band would hold no doubt,..

I was actually not kidding btw.........done nicely, not ghetto.

Well, I have an uphill onramp near my house on rte 2. It goes uphill then you enter an uphill section of the highway. I acellerate up this ramp and it hits overdrive around 35-40 mph and then I'm climbing using the od band. It holds just fine so I think tyhe kevlar is the way to go especially if one has a transgo which loves to dump into OD. Like I said, the kevlar band is only 25 bucks but I strongly recommend you get an a+ servo to hold it.