AOD to 5spd...still have AOD computer...will it effect cam choices?

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
The previous owner of my 93 mustang switched from the AOD to a 5spd out of a 95 GT (yes the input shaft was changed)...and as far as I know it still has the AOD computer....does this mean I need to be looking for cams for an automatic since the computer is for an automatic :shrug:

Thanks In Advance :nice:

David

• Sponsors (?)

So when I get my custom cam I just have to say I have a 5spd because I know Automatics are limited with the cam choices....So in essence what I'm asking is my current auto to 5spd swap can take the same cams as a stock 5speed car? Thanks again...

David

aod computer for 5 spd

hey u can not use an aod comp for a 5spd.... does not work right........ u can use a 5spd comp for aod but not the other way..... the fulel ratio pitch n so fourth is to dramatic n automatic comp can't read the rpm drop fast enough u have to get a 5spd comp

Actually with a Tweecer you can use an auto PCM by changing only a few scalars. The A9P (auto) tune is more aggressive than the X3Z (93 Cobra) and the A9L (manual) so you may also have to de-tune some of the functions and tables as well or just dump an A9L tune in with Tweecer.

Don

ComfortablyNumb,
You CAN use a auto puter with a 5spd, but you CAN'T use a 5spd puter with an auto.

I used to be SD with a T5 and switch to MAF and used the A9P (auto puter) due to it's slightly more aggressive curve like 90gtstang mentioned above and it works perfectly. I know many others as well who use auto puters with a 5spd and have 0 problems.

Scott

Well the previous owner did the auto to 5spd swap....so does that mean he had to have put in a 5spd computer??????????? becasue the car seems to run like it had 5spd in it stock...

David

Ok, the reason why some cams are specified for AOD or T-5 has to do with the actual transmission and not the computer. Some cams don't make power in the low end range which is why you would need a certain cam with an AOD because you have a small converter in in stock. Also, the AOD has poorer gearing. With a 5-spd, the gearing and the ability to slip the clutch at a higher launch RPM allows you to run a cam that might sacrifice a bit of low end grunt but gain some top end HP. The two transmissions just have different personalities and need a different sort of torque and power curve to perform the best. The fuel and timing curves of the two computers is virtually the same. It's just the method of transferring power to the wheels that is an important factory in picking a cam

You have a 5-spd, that's all you need to know. Don't worry about the computer when it comes to cam choice.

The AOD is not an electronic transmission. The only electrical connection going to the AOD is for the reverse light, the nuetral safety and the VSS sensor for cruise control. The AOD has no idea what the engine is doing. It's dumb. The main differences is the AOD computer does not pull timing between shifts they way a 5-spd comp does.

An AOD computer can be used with a 5-spd MOST OF THE TIME. SOmetimes the engine RPM's will hang when using a AOD comp. DOesn't happen all the time, just sometimes. I beleive it has something to do with the VSS sensor and cruise control. Either way, if you car has the AOD comp and runs perfectly fine, leave it. The AOD comp is actually better.

I do not beleive a 5-spd computer can be used with an AOD however. Comfortably Numb, you might want to see if you can find an AOD comp to borrow and see if that helps.

my friends 92 gt was an auto car and it was switched to a t5 and it still has the auto computer it just idles weird for the first few minutes. his car runs fine and doesn't smoke or anything. not sure if it's good for it but oh well it's not my car. lol

goldbomb79 said:
my friends 92 gt was an auto car and it was switched to a t5 and it still has the auto computer it just idles weird for the first few minutes. his car runs fine and doesn't smoke or anything. not sure if it's good for it but oh well it's not my car. lol

Well my car dies on initial start up if I don't give it gas....it seems like I got to get everything flowing for it to stay on but after a few seconds it seems to do fine.... :shrug: I wonder if that has to do with the auto computer...

Dumb question: Where is the kick panel at on the passenger side? (under the glove box, or in the engine bay?...)

David

5spd GT,

No, the auto PCM doesn't have anything to with with your startup problem. Sounds like your ISC needs adjusted. The PCM is located behind the kick panel on the passenger side. To see what you have you should only need to remove the kick panel, but to remove the PCM it is easiest to remove the glovebox and heater blower assy. also. Makes it real easy. When re-installing the heater blower assy. pay close attention to the alignment of the guides, if you don't get it aligned right you'll fight it for days and never get it back in!

Good Luck, Don

5spd GT said:
Well my car dies on initial start up if I don't give it gas....it seems like I got to get everything flowing for it to stay on but after a few seconds it seems to do fine.... :shrug: I wonder if that has to do with the auto computer...

Dumb question: Where is the kick panel at on the passenger side? (under the glove box, or in the engine bay?...)

David

there is actually a little difference in the internals of the motor 2......if you check out some stroker kits offered for the 5.0L you will see that they specify weither its for an automatic or manual application. meening a manual trans motor has 2 have a little more endplay in bearing clearances when dealing wityh a new motor........but in the case of a seasoned higher mileage motor you can generaly get away with the swap.
but according to engine assembly manuals a motor intended to live behind an automatic has tighter oil tolerances in the main bearings. as for the computer yes the fuel curves and ignition curves are different from auto to manual ford 5.0L motors in the computer, best to either change it or reprogram it with aftermarket chip

I will have to say you guys that say you CAN"T use an auto comouter in a 5spd need to step away from the crack pipe. I know many people that prefer the auto comp over the 5spd due to the fact the 5spd comp pulls timing between shifts. I have had the auto comp A9P in my car for 5 years and it has idled perfect everyday. It runs great and I have never had a prob. So you should do a little research first before you throw out :bs:

i was just suggesting a chip upgrade to get even more power out of the computer by altering fuel and ignition curves over the very very conservative factory curves!
and giveing it a much more aggressive tune!
think about it.........fomoco never intended it to be aggresive, thats why people like diablo, etc.....stepped in to replace the factory proms to unleash more power.....what good does all the aftermarket goodies like heads and intake and so on do for you on a stock computer? sure it gives you some gains........but you havent even come close to the potential all the add on mods can give you!!!!!!...with a stock computer programming.......geez!!!!!!!!!

radarram: It's the other way around...but thanks for the post and a laugh.

wildstang347: So you can't change timing manually with a timing light and you can't increase your fuel pressure with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Is it really necessary to spend $300+ on a chip that will do next to nothing on the 5.0's?

5spd GT: The computer has nothing to do with how your engine starts...if you have to put the gas pedal to the ground inorder to start it than check your fuel pump or your fuel relay switch (should be located under the driver's seat...at least it is in both of my 91's). You're not getting fuel from what you described...An auto computer will work just fine...I know this cuz I did a swap to my car and I run a big cam...the idle issues can be because of the cam surging or TB sticking...there's to many variables to diagnose without more info...Just remember don't go too crazy of a cam without getting proper valve springs and hardened pushrods...Good Luck.

yes highbred, you can change the initial timeing with a light wich any idiot knows and bolt on a adjustable fuel reg, but u can only get so much power from OEM equipment, is my point.........do you think a 10 sec car or lower is doing it with stock computer? the OEM crap gets junked for aftermarket equipment..........as far as a chip not helping you.........maybe its the person doing the tuneing!